Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I shouldn't have found it funny...

The local cops had a bit of excitement today. Three burglars were caught breaking into a house a few miles away: Two were stopped but one got away and by all accounts he's a baddie. So cops were having fun all afternoon, barreling up and down the BLM roads and keeping the dogs all stirred up. W and I went and checked on absent neighbors' houses a couple of times. It's the biggest thing that's happened to the local laws in nearly a year, since the last murder in town, and they were playing it up big.

Anyway, a neighbor a couple of miles away is a cop. Around the middle of the afternoon he came into the yard on his ATV, all decked out in a POLICE t-shirt and an AR15. This fellow's never done anything bad to me, but I confess an irrational dislike; I just can't warm up to anybody who's paid (with my tax money, yet) to look for opportunities to do to me what I'd deserve to be shot for doing to him.

He was just being friendly, letting us know what we'd already heard through the grapevine. As he was pulling out the dogs got into the act, which I discourage because Ghost is a tire-biter. But Fritz saw a better target: He flew out from under a juniper and went for the cop's leg. From John Law's reaction he got more than cloth, too. I yelled at him for an idiot and called him off.

Till the cop left. Then I called Fritz over. "Good dog," I said. W gave me a look, but didn't say anything about it. I assume he just doesn't like it when I give a dog confusing signals. :-D

No comments: