Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Nuke the fence, Pt. 2

When I went to work on The Secret Lair with M yesterday morning, I was all too aware that I had a scheduling conflict. This is ironic, given that I try to make it a point never to even have a schedule. Along with using up two months worth of Tracfone time in as many weeks, which also happened this month, I consider it a very poor commentary on my hermitting skills. But anyway: I was supposed to call the horse doctor and confirm a tentative appointment to bring the KopKruncher back and get his balloon-shaped ear taken care of, now that the hemotoma has had time to stop bleeding.
I couldn't call before 8 AM or so, which gave me an hour and a half to work on the Lair. Never one to miss a Jeep ride, Fritz of course came with. I came back to the property at 8, made the call, and just got an answering machine. To resolve my conflict, W had agreed to take Fritz to the vet for me. I didn't anticipate any problem with this, since Fritz will do anything, including submit to sharp objects, if he gets a car ride out of it. Since I couldn't raise the vet, I left a message for him to call me back, gave my cell phone to W, and locked the now-upset Fritz in Gitmo to await his fateful ride. Then I returned to the Lair site and got back to work.

Maybe an hour later, Fritz showed up at the Lair and climbed under the building with the other boys like nothing had happened. I wasn't able to confirm with W, having given him my phone, but assumed this meant that the vet had called to say he couldn't take Fritz that day. I cursed but otherwise didn't give it much thought: I had a lot of work to do.

Along about 11:30, M and I broke for lunch. When we got back to the property, W came out and handed me my phone: "The vet didn't call," he said.

"Really? I figured he'd called to beg off when I saw Fritz."

W looked puzzled. "What do you mean? Fritz is still in Gitmo."

"Then who's that in the Jeep?"

"Oh," said W. "I thought he got pretty quiet."

No comments: