Tuesday, August 25, 2009

We're from the government, Ma'am. We know what we're doing.

This is too funny.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- A law taking effect this week could make criminals out of those who bring Tupperware onto many Missouri rivers.

The law was intended to reduce the floating debris from abandoned foam coolers in the state's waterways. But lawmakers, apparently a little rusty with chemistry, barred the wrong plastic.

The white foam coolers commonly called "Styrofoam" are made from expanded polystyrene. But the law bars polypropylene. That's a plastic found in things like dishwasher-safe plastic containers but not usually used to ferry drinks down a river.

The mix up means river floaters can use foam coolers without fear. But someone caught with a dishwasher-safe plastic container could risk up to a year in jail.
Sometimes our rulers require no snarky comments on my part.

5 comments:

C.M. said...

Off topic,

I have been finding it difficult to get to your blog lately. A couple of times I have been prevented by a warning that your blog is trying to download malicious virus on to my computer therefore it has been summarily disconnected, I also have warnings of problems with my computer unable to "connect" with your blog.

I'm running software to try and take care of this problem.

Anybody else? Any decrease in traffic for your blog lately Joel?

Joel said...

The traffic has been pretty steady, C.M. Not setting the world on its ear, but not decreasing either.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone else is having trouble, but none of my neighbors have mentioned anything. Right now I'm thinking it's on your end, though I don't have a clue why only your computer would be reporting virus attacks. Failure to connect could be a blogger.com problem, because they do momentarily go down from time to time. But the other is a mystery to me.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog every day and have had no problems.I run AVG and spybot and have had no flags about any malicious software.

C.M. said...

Thanks,

I think I will take the time to do a deeeep cleaning tonight. Been away most of the summer off and on and I have grown somewhat lacadaisical

Thanks for letting me know.

Anonymous said...

Rut Row ! Looks like my coleman canoe, the paddles the anchor and rope,and my clothing down to my long johns should put me away for a long time !