Saturday, October 17, 2009

Afternoon at the local gun show...

The gun club in the little town near where I live has been holding an annual gun show for the past few years, and for the past few years it has been a pretty pathetic affair. They haven't been able to lure many out-of-town vendors, so it's mostly local guys with a few guns on a table.

This year was a little better; there were a few vendors who are, judging from their investment in glass cases, minor-league gun show regulars. Still didn't take long to get through everything there was to see, though. I'm afraid I'm getting the bug for a big-bore wheel gun. Fortunately, since I have no money for such things, I'm pretty sure it'll pass.

Overheard conversation, concerning a single-action revolver:
Woman: Thanks for showing me that. I was feeling pretty stupid, not even knowing how to load it.

Man: Oh, single actions have their quirks. Nobody's born knowing it. Well, unless you're a guy.
I had an interesting encounter, the sort of thing that only happens to me around here. This being a typical gun show with typical legal requirements, loaded guns weren't allowed inside so I left mine outside. But I still had my everyday-carry knife with me because, well, why would I take it off? I left my pants on too, y'know? It was this one, though it's been kinda chewed since I took this picture:

There are places where the mere sight of a knife like that on somebody's belt would cause all the honest citizens to simultaneously lose sphinctor control, while SWAT teams are mobilized from as far away as Maui. This isn't one of those places, which is why I love it. Anyway, M and I were looking at some rifles when a woman's voice behind me says, "Excuse me, sir." And I turn around and here's this nice-looking lady with a show tag on, and right away I start wondering what the problem is and who I'm gonna have to kill to get out of it. She points to my belt and says, "I was just wondering what kind of knife that is. I was admiring it from my booth over there." And so me and this dressed-up lady start talking about Cold Steel knives. And how often does that happen where you live?

2 comments:

Joseph Kogut said...

Not often enough.

I was, however, flying from Seattle to San Diego a few weeks ago, and to pass the time, I was reading a SWAT magazine on the plane. One of the male flight attendants noticed an ad in the magazine, and whispered over my shoulder "ninety-eight bravo, that's all you need." (The ad was for Barrett's new 98B.)

It turned out he was a Marine for a number of years, and every time he wasn't busy, I would talk with him throughout the flight about the military. (I'm planning on joining in a few months.)

It also turned out that on my connecting flight, the couple sitting next to me were former Air Force and prison sniper. I had a great conversation with them too.

Anonymous said...

Cool post as for me. It would be great to read something more concerning that topic. Thank you for giving that information.
Joan Stepsen
Latest tech gadgets