Thursday, October 22, 2009

Is it bad that I've never heard of this person?

Hoyer, speaking to reporters at his weekly press briefing on Tuesday, was asked by CNSNews.com where in the Constitution was Congress granted the power to mandate that a person must by a health insurance policy. Hoyer said that, in providing for the general welfare, Congress had “broad authority.”

“Well, in promoting the general welfare the Constitution obviously gives broad authority to Congress to effect that end,” Hoyer said. “The end that we’re trying to effect is to make health care affordable, so I think clearly this is within our constitutional responsibility.”

Hoyer compared a health insurance mandate to the government’s power to levy taxes, saying “we mandate other things as well, like paying taxes.”
[MORE]

When asked if there was anything the constitution didn't allow congress to do, he mumbled some blather about how they couldn't force people to drive GM cars. Of course they do have the power to dictate what GM and everybody sells. Some of them would like to prevent us from buying and driving cars at all. So basically, the answer is "no."

Here's this person I've honestly never heard of before this morning, telling me what I have to buy if I wish to remain in a "condition of lawful residence in the United States.” Y'know what, Steny? (May I call you Sten?) The answer is "no." Not only no. Hell no.

I'll put it in more simple terms for you, Sten.

You. Ain't. The. Boss. Of. Me.

Notice how I didn't use a single obscenity? Well, except for "c*ngress," but that was in the article.

3 comments:

C.M. said...

Hey Joel,

everything all right in your neck of the..er desert? Just checking is all.

Joel said...

Thanks, C.M. Everything's fine: Just very busy but not with anything that makes a good blog post. I got tired of spending evenings coming up with links just to satisfy the "post every day" imperative.

C.M. said...

There are no imperatives Joel, don't mean to pressure you to perform, this blog is your fiefdom so to speak. For some reason I have grown fond of you, maybe because you look a lot like my Dad.

You take care now and BTW, the desert is beautiful full of that white stuff.