Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"For God and Country, I'll End Your Life"

This was directed to my attention by someone I'll let remain nameless, because in other matters I respect his opinion.
I’ve got the reach and the teeth of a killin’ machine,
With a need to bleed you when the light goes green
Best believe, I’m in a zone to be, from my Yin to my Yang to my Yang Tze
Put a grin on my chin when you come to me,
‘Cuz I’ll win, I’m a one-of-a-kind and I’ll bring death
To the place you’re about to be: another river of blood runnin’ under my feet
Forged in a fire lit long ago, stand next to me, you’ll never stand alone
I’m last to leave, but the first to go, Lord, make me dead before you make me old
I feed on the fear of the devil inside of the enemy faces in my sights:
Aim with the hand, shoot with the mind, kill with a heart like arctic ice

I am a soldier and I’m marching on
I am a warrior and this is my song

I bask in the glow of the rising war, lay waste to the ground of an enemy shore
Wade through the blood spilled on the floor, and if another one stands I’ll kill some more
Bullet in the breach and a fire in me, like a cigarette thrown, to gasoline
If death don’t bring you fear, I swear, you’ll fear these marchin’ feet
Come to the nightmare, come to me, deep down in the dark where the devil be
In the maw with the jaws and the razor teeth,
Where the brimstone burns and the angel weeps
Call to the gods if I cross your path and my silhouette hangs like a body bag
Hope is a moment now long past, the shadow of death is the one I cast.

I am a soldier and I’m marching on
I am a warrior and this is my song
My eyes are steel and my gaze is long
I am a warrior and this is my song

Now I live lean and I mean to inflict the grief,
And the least of me is still out of your reach
The killing machine’s gonna do the deed,
Until the river runs dry and my last breath leaves
Chin in the air with a head held high,
I’ll stand in the path of the enemy line
Feel no fear, know my pride:
For God and Country I’ll end your life

I am a soldier and I’m marching on
I am a warrior and this is my song
My eyes are steel and my gaze is long
I am a warrior and this is my song

I note that nowhere in the lyrics above is there any proviso that the "warrior's" victims need be in any way an actual threat to America or Americans. Nope, it's just "I’ve got the reach and the teeth of a killin’ machine/with a need to bleed you when the light goes green." I don't acknowledge membership of any country that finds those vile sentiments attractive or even acceptable.

I'm told that this song can be purchased on iTunes, and that except for Apple's cut all proceeds go to some fund that...I don't know, that does something "warrior" types would like.

Look, I know there can be legitimate differences of opinion on this or that topic, even on weighty matters. But this song actually manages to make me proud that I never served in any armed force. That might seem strange, since I carry and train with arms. But that's not about spreading death or causing fear in foreigners who never did me harm. If you came here and treated me and mine the way this song promises to treat them, I guarantee I'd be "the warrior's" enemy, too. Whoever embraces the message of this song deserves all the enemies he gains.

15 comments:

Jac said...

I think...I'm going...to HURL.

Thunder said...

I DID serve in the armed forces and the song makes me want to hurl.

That is some of the most anti-social, psychotic drivel I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

The song is about the mindset of a warrior. I am not surprised that an understanding is difficult thing. The job of a warrior is a difficult one where the individual must shed their learned social restraints, and embrace their bestial wrath, all without losing those same learned social restraints. It has to be focused destruction, and not a random outpouring of carnage, or they become monsters instead of rational people who take on an ugly task. It's NOT a job for everybody. There's a reason some people go into infantry, and some (like me) who work(ed) on engines. I don't have the stuff to be one of those on the sharp end of the spear, but I do appreciate how difficult their job is.

It's an excellent song. It is very well done and it gets the heart pumping. I quote enjoyed it.

"I'm told that this song can be purchased on iTunes, and that except for Apple's cut all proceeds go to some fund that...I don't know, that does something "warrior" types would like."

Google is your friend. Go look it up. You might be surprised. No snark intended.

-Kresh

Patrick said...

There's not a thing here you won't hear in any running cadence.

If all this really does offend you so much, well, Delta's ready when you are.

Joel said...

To my guests from Proteinwisdom.com: Welcome! I'm the milquetoast.

I appreciate your visit. Thing is, we can disagree on this or that detail but if you stick around and have a look you might find I'm not quite the left-coast liberal you think. Thanks for coming, and enjoy!

J

Anonymous said...

I have not looked around yet, but well handled my friend. Well handled.

ukuleledave said...

OK, now I poked around a bit. Read the comments regarding the song. Yep, it's bit harsh.

No word about those being killed being a threat to the United State? I wouldn't have expected that. We don't train soldiers to look for justification for war. With the exceptions for illegal actions within warfare, the soldier should generally have a single mindset: identify and kill the enemy. War itself is terrible business, and it should be put off in all cases and reserved for the most extreme circumstances. That said, our military strives to be efficient, brutal and professional in delivering hell to whomever is an enemy of the US. That dedication to the act of war actually makes war less likely and as brief as possible. (You can probably tell that my objection about our recent conflicts has more to do with Commanders in Chief dithering while troops serve in harm's way.)

I don't know about "proud" but I'm kinda glad you didn't serve too. You'd have been pretty poor at it. On the bright side, you can thank those who did for your freedom to disagree.

When you watch A Few Good Men (Cruise/Nicholson) remember that you might identify with the Tom Cruise character, but Col. Jessep's words were mostly true. You want him on that wall.

M said...

I can thank a soldier for my freedom of speech? Really? I must have missed it when Saddam Hussein and the Taliban tried to take it away...

Anonymous said...

As soldiers, we train to embrace "violence of action", because that is what ends the fight with minimum collateral damage and minimum casualties to your side. We don't train to wound, that's a bad strategy.

Soldiers don't generally start wars, by the way. Clever politicians and the "inteligencia" do.

ukuleledave said...

M:
Actually, without a robust, violent and professional military you would have no freedom. (Spech, religion, assembly or press.) Do you really think that you don't owe your security to a soldier? Really?

Grab a history book. Or just "Google" Valley Forge or Pearl Harbor.

As for Saddam and the Taliban, the last group supported and hid those who planned an attack on the US which cost almost 3,000 people their lives.

And Saddam? -- He paid the widows of suicide bombers in Israel. His was one of the most repressive regimes in modern history. Both Clintons, John F. Kerry and most every Democrat in Congress supported regime change until it came down to actually doing something. When it became unpopular, they dropped it. Luckally those cowards were not in Philadelphia, 1776.

But for the record, no. Those guys are not about to infringe on your right to free speech. Cut your throat, yes. Infringe your free speech, no.

I have seen bumper stickers on Volvos all my life that say "If you want peace, work for justice." Is that not a popular slogan anymore? No one has sacrificed more for justice than the American military.

Two more points -- since this is a progressive minded blog. Those who we fight (we -- the US) in Afghanistan and elsewhere are the enemies of civilization. The Taliban should be an example of what the 21st century will be like if the world continues to cower in the face of the global Islamist terror threat. Beheddings, women forced to undergo female circumscision, forced religious conversions... Does the left really think that's OK anywhere?

Second point:
Happy Veteran's Day.

Anonymous said...

Very well said ukuleledave its good to know there's good , honest Americans like yourself (assuming you are american). I'm Canadian and you sir have made my day and I am proud that we are allies in this war on terror to prevent the atrocities that happened and continue to happen in Iraq and Afghanistan. Good day , and farewell

,Tom

JimmyRock said...

For all you people that want to bash this song (which epitomizes what the American Soldier is all about). Okay. Good. You keep bashing the U.S. Soldier. For when the time comes that the United States (which you probably also hate) gets over-run, I hope you know how to suvive. Cause I for one am done helping you. And I am a Soldier. For the guy who who said he served, and these lyrics still make him want to hurl, did you serve honorably? Did you serve in military intelligence? Just wondering.

Harish Kumar said...

Hey you fucking moronic pacifist girls, this song is very popular in India, the Land of Buddha, so if you don't have any manliness left in you, go under a tree, meditate and become a Boddhisatva.

The rest of the MEN in this world, we will continue to enjoy this song!

Go and change your pink diapers, girls!

Harish Kumar said...

" But that's not about spreading death or causing fear in foreigners who never did me harm. "

Listen up girly moron! This song was written to motivate the soldiers in the battlefield. You don't write lyrics which say "I am going to kill only those who try to harm me, okay, enemy soldier, I know you are a good guy, but please forgive me, I am only doing my duty" and drivel like that.

In the battlefield, you shoot to kill! Got it?

Harish Kumar said...

The American Military has always sacrified its brave men and women to preserve civilization on earth. These leftist and pacifist morons should realise that, if they have the freedom to bash the US Army, it is largely due to the sacrifice made by the US Army.

They mis-use the freedom of speech and action preserved by the American Military to bash the American Military.

What a lot of degraded human beings leftists are!

And they are backed by the moronic buddhists. The buddhist morons should realise that Buddha attained nirvana because there was a soldier of a Hindu King standing nearby to protect him from attacks by robbers, dacoits and wild animals.

Get real guys!

This is it!