Saturday, January 9, 2010

It never fails...

Most winter mornings are pretty laid-back affairs, especially since the electrical system grew up and stopped needing to be changed, fed and burped first thing. I get up, let the dogs out, dress in a leisurely fashion, let the dogs in, and then sit and read with my coffee and ciggies until it seems warm enough for walky time.

But let there be an actual schedule, let there be something I actually have to do or somewhere I have to be at a particular time, and every possible manner of hell breaks out simultaneously. The water line from the cistern freezes, which causes the pressure pump to run continuously, which causes the power to shut down while I'm attempting to satisfy a jones for pancakes instead of my usual quick-n-easy fried egg on toast. The generator doesn't want to start (COLD!) and when it does the noise alerts W who wants to discuss why we've no power after a week of sunny days. The phone rings twice, which is more than the quota for a week. All the unnatural activity stirs up the dogs, who want to go out/come in/go out/come in/to infinity and beyond. And can I find my hat? I can not.

Dammit.

1 comment:

The Grey Lady said...

I hear ya and feel your pain...just try adding a whole herd of children to that mix...