Friday, March 26, 2010

Hey, it worked for the Fabian Society

Gradualism is a patience-testing - and very annoying when you're just trying to get something of your own back - but effective strategy.

Offered for your consideration, on the continued normalization of armed adults, this shockingly even-handed article from MSNBC of all places.
When Gottlieb’s foundation got its start, just four states allowed regular citizens to carry concealed weapons simply because they wanted to.

Some other states were known as “may issue,” meaning concealed weapons permits were dispensed at the discretion of state or local law enforcement officials. That system often was dogged by charges of political favoritism, and it continues to be in states such as California and New York, where it is still in place.

And many states did not allow civilians to carry concealed weapons under any circumstances, as is still the case in Illinois and Wisconsin.

While four states joined the “shall issue” ranks through the early and mid-1980s, the movement’s turning point came in 1987, when a successful “shall-issue” campaign in Florida received heavy national media coverage.

I've gotta say something about this, and not to my credit. This development has always surprised me. Though I've been as quick to take advantage of it as any shooter, I've had almost nothing to do with it though frequently asked to. There are people who are activists, and people who just aren't. I did a little copy writing for JPFO at one point but it wasn't a good fit. I don't write letters to congresscritters. I don't vote. I do occasionally give money, though mostly I'm so broke that any contribution of mine is strictly symbolic.

In short, a lot of people have made a lot of progress, and it's sometimes been in the teeth of my own skepticism. We all have our prejudices, and one of mine is that the trajectory of Leviathan is alway, invariably, in the direction of more control. It's only been in the past couple of years that I've been able to really accept that the "carry movement" is actually winning. It's like I'm a creationist coming to grips with finding life on Mars; it has forced me to re-examine some fundamental points of my whole philosophy, having nothing to do with guns. The success of the carry movement has become my own private "inconvenient truth," even though I'm completely in favor of their success.

When you work that hard for that many years, and that effectively even when people on your own side don't believe in you, well... Damn. Well done to all those who've been fighting the fight, that's all I can say.

No comments: