Friday, April 30, 2010

Guess what! The National ID card is back already.

I read this article this morning, but didn't have time to post. So hopefully I'm not the last person in the blogoverse to point it out.
Democratic leaders have proposed requiring every worker in the nation to carry a national identification card with biometric information, such as a fingerprint, within the next six years, according to a draft of the measure.

...

Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (Ill.), who has worked on the proposal and helped unveil it at a press conference Thursday, predicted the public has become more comfortable with the idea of a national identification card.

“The biometric identification card is a critical element here,” Durbin said. “For a long time it was resisted by many groups, but now we live in a world where we take off our shoes at the airport and pull out our identification.

“People understand that in this vulnerable world, we have to be able to present identification,” Durbin added. “We want it to be reliable, and I think that’s going to help us in this debate on immigration.”
This has been pissing me off all day. I'd like to thank all you folks who were so concerned about "foreign riff raff" that you gave the liberal Congress this opening. Thank you, I told you so, and I will think of you ever so fondly every time I can't get a job because I won't carry your goddamn permission slip.

There are a thousand compromises I'll suffer to live with this government, and quite a few I won't. My moving way out here, off the grid and off the rolls was actually quite a compromise compared to my attitude when I was a younger man. But carrying a card showing that I have the government's permission just to earn my keep, that's something I won't do. I don't know if this new bill will go anywhere. I hope not. But if it does, I don't know what that will bring me.

If it brings trouble, it's not the politicians I'll blame. Parasites do what parasites do, and there's not much point in wishing they were different. It's you xenophobic bastards who just couldn't let a few Mexicans earn an honest living, you're the ones I'll blame. Decent people are supposed to know better. If you wanted to fight the welfare state that you say drew so many immigrants, that was fine; I'd have been right with you on that. But that's not what upset you, no. What upset you was the sight of people who weren't like you. That's childish and unworthy of you, or of any respectable person. And every bit of trouble this new obscenity brings me, I wish back on you tenfold.

5 comments:

suek said...

Several different issues here. I remember when Social Security cards were issued. The big uproar then was that they would be used as a universal identity card, and we'd all become "just a number". Oh no quoth they. Never going to happen. In fact, I still have my original SS card, and it says right across the face "Not to be used for identification". My children's cards don't have that on them. Surprise, surprise.
2) They're going about this the wrong way - proposing a national ID card is just asking for an uproar. They'd be smarter to start with infants and just add the info to the SS card, or if you have any kind of a problem (which they could certainly manufacture) require you to come in and then add it to your SS. Adding security to your SS card so it can't be used for a stolen ID would probably be cheered.

Third...reading more about Arizona's problem, it appears to me that the greater problem isn't so much the illegals as the drug importers. Legalizing pot - although I think it's a bad idea - might be a better answer. Eliminate the "illegal" part of pot, permit it to be grown(and taxed!) legally and much of the problem would be likely to disappear.

That said...if you can't can't identify the illegals, the only other solution is to identify the legals - us. I agree with your abhorrence, but unless you're willing to allow emergency rooms to reject those who cannot pay (and to be honest, I think this is actually a better answer) and refuse SS to anybody who doesn't actually qualify for it by citizenship and proof of a work record (don't have the site handy, but there are those collecting SS who shouldn't be eligible). Or eliminate SS - that's another step. Unlikely until we actually have a bankrupt country, though. Which may not be all that far away, come to think of it.

Anonymous said...

This new obscenity is just another in a long train of abuses. People in this country disgust me. The poster above suggests biometric SSN AFTER making the point that the parasites said it would never be used for identification. I hope it comes back on these disgusting sheeple a thousand fold.

Anonymous said...

First, I'm disgusted at your ranting that those of us who are opposed to illegal immigration are the problem. It's you bleeding hearts that are the problem. Here's my solution. Put up two barriers; a solid 12 foot high wall on the US/Mexican border, and a 10 foot high chain link fence one mile inside the US border. Post national Guard/regular Army all along this fence line. Shoot, on sight, anyone caught between the wall and the fence. Once the bodies start piling up they'll all think twice about trying to enter our country illegally. I'm all in favor of LEGAL immigration. The blood suckers who won't follow the legal process don't deserve any rights. And anyone who supports any benefits going to any illegals can head south too.

Joel said...

Oh, good plan. Good plan. Because I WANT my country to resemble Stalag 13. I get a little tingle down my leg at the thought.

Thanks very much for illustrating my point.

Anonymous said...

by following the "legal process" do you mean the INS agent who gave a green card to a Colombian woman in exchange for sex? Or the fraud and rubber stamping of the 1986 immigration bill?