Monday, April 19, 2010

Oh, Lord...

So I'm working on the Landlady's retaining wall, right? And nothing's going just right, because when I woke up this morning I could barely raise my right arm after taking a header in the yard yesterday afternoon. And then I find out that I miscalculated how many bond-beam blocks I needed by exactly one, plus I broke one trying to bust out a side for a corner block, which means I'm down two blocks. I look all over and can't find any laying around. But I figure there must be some at M's build site, so I put the boys in the Jeep and get ready to drive over there.

And I'm just pulling out when I see a big green pickup driving into the meadow near the Landlady's build site. It's D&L, delivering a bunch of pallets for the lumber that's supposed to arrive on Wednesday. So I leave the boys in the Jeep while we unload the pallets. What with that and conversation, that takes maybe half an hour. Then I figure while I'm out I may as well hang the load of laundry in the washer, and that takes another few minutes. Then I come back to the Jeep...

Where I find that somebody - I'd blame Beauty, but she wasn't even there - has decided to use the shift knob for a chew toy, completely destroying the push-button thingie that lets you get it out of Park. I get it sort-of working, so now you can shift the transmission but you can't lock it into park, which on our hills is definitely a Bad Thing. And now I've got something else to fix, plus trying to figure out how to explain this to Landlady, who owns the Jeep...

I'm supposed to be the care-taker, not the parts-breaker.

2 comments:

The Grey Lady said...

You might be able to catch a break and Not have some cheap Russian Satellite fall on your head....but you might want to look up if you happen to hear an ever louder unidentified whistling sound.

julian 3 said...

Simple.
Tell her that a Black Labrador wearing an "Obama" tag around his neck, jumped in the front seat, frothing like Cujo, and you had to flee for your life and when you got back...

Actually - we take in rescued dogs, currently have three, and if you saw our house / furniture / everything, you would decide that age + many big dogs and big puppies = a more casual attitude toward destruction.
Kinda like "Hey, didn't that chair used to have four legs"
"Yeah"
"Mmm... I think the dogs chewed one off..."
"Oh... well... c'est la guerre.