Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dang. Drat. Poop. Also, Ca-Ca.

Whine, whine, whine.

I'm sitting here over my coffee, for once dreading a day. That feels weird.

Oh, it's a familiar feeling, don't get me wrong. It used to be my default attitude at the beginning of any day at all. But that's one of the things - It's really the only thing - I came out here to get away from.

It's not really Spring anymore, Joel. It's really summer now. It'll be June in less than two weeks, and it's 'way past time for you to get off your lazy butt.

Yet it's hard to shake off my lethargy. I haven't felt well in no particular way, the pressure sores caused by my old prosthesis do not want to heal, which makes walking difficult, and I just generally find it difficult to get anything done. Which doesn't stop the march of time. Landlady, who quite rationally wants me to get my old lair off the site of her new greenhouse, has been gently asking how progress on the new lair has been going - knowing full well that it hasn't been going anywhere.

And it's the little things. Like my brand-new t-shirt yesterday:



Yup - Battery acid. I fight a never-ending battle not to dress in rags, but new t-shirts are expensive and so invariably become prized and protected possessions. So naturally I was wearing this one yesterday when we tested the batteries, and so naturally I flipped some electrolyte on my shirt from the hydrometer, didn't notice, and burned holes in my brand-new shirt. It only happens with new clothes, because old clothes are apparently immune.

Then there's the boys. Twice in a row I've gone to work on the lair, and twice in a row within fifteen minutes I was off looking for the dogs. Last year they just stretched out in the shade for however long I wanted to work, but no more. The new lair is closer to D&L's place. D&L now have two dogs, and my boys like to go visit. So suddenly they won't stay put when they come with me to the lair. Which means Gitmo for them, which I'm reluctant to do because Ghost does the best "You Suck" face you've ever seen and I'm a soft touch. But it's now a given that if I ever want to get any work done the boys have to stay home.

Enough whining, because I've got a lot to do today. It's shit-shoveling day, after which I've got a trenching gig (yay) and after THAT I AM going to install the lair's bathroom window which I was cutting out when the boys last disappeared on me. And after THAT I AM going over to some other neighbors who say they have a wood-cutting gig for me and I need to check on it before they change their minds. Wood-cutting is far more pleasant than trenching. The boys WILL spend most of the day in Gitmo, which is just bloody TOUGH. Got it? Good! Now fare thee well, because I'm going to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some days (weeks/months/years) are just difficult. Sending some "JUST DO IT" vibes your way. :)