Sunday, June 6, 2010

We did something really decadant and hedonistic today...

We ran our air conditioners.

It's been pretty hot for the past few days, but today was a scorcher. W and I both live in old RVs, which are equipped with air conditioners we never use. I've been here going on four years, and didn't even know if this one worked. But we were starting to sweat by eight in the morning. After breakfast at S&L's it was really hot. We've had some problems with the electrical system, which has prevented me from using it to fill the cistern so I needed to run the generator for a few hours. After that we both thought, "Who's really gonna die if we plug the genny into the power system and cool off the trailers?"

So that's just what we did. After a few minutes I was pretty sure mine had crapped out, but then the compressor gave an anguished groan that made me wonder if the rooftop unit was going to burst into flames, and the AC started gushing cool air! Quick! Close the windows!

It looks like our heatwave is ushering in the Monsoon. We got one abortive cloud column in the south yesterday that dissipated after a couple of hours, but when it did the same thing today it nearly covered the sky - bringing some welcome shade. I don't think it's going to rain yet, though.

No comments: