Sunday, July 25, 2010

I've got a new shiny!



I've just received the final functional parts of my third donated camera. I swore when the dust killed the last one that I'd buy a point'n'shoot digital without a mechanical zoom lens, because that's the part that always goes bad. The first one I don't feel too badly about; who knew you shouldn't carry it in your pocket? The second, a gift from the Grey Lady, I was more careful with but it died anyway. I never got around to buying that cheap no-zoom - there was always something else to spend the money on.

Now Claire has gifted me with a very nice used camera and extracted from me a solemn vow that I'll keep it in a freakin' Zip-lock bag if that's what it takes to keep the dust out of the worky parts.

Here's hoping I've learned enough lessons to keep this one going. Thanks, Claire! Turns out my old data transfer cable works fine, BTW.

4 comments:

Pat H. said...

I have a Nikon Coolpix 7900, which has the mechanical zoom mechanism. It's at least six years old, still going strong, more or less.

I thought I'd killed it when I left it outside on a tripod and we had a gully washer of a rain storm. But, no, it gradually came back over time as it dried out.

I recently dropped it which damaged the battery compartment door, so now that requires duct tape to stay close to closed.

The display is slightly crooked from a previous exposure to gravity. I do keep in my pocket quite often and that hasn't seemed to matter. It fits my jeans pocket, it goes in the pocket.

I'm looking at a Nikon P6000 which is of similar size and layout, with better specs, but the 7900 continues to soldier on, so can't really justify the new purchase.

Joel said...

The problem is that it's SO DAMNED DUSTY HERE. Seriously, it gets in everything; a fine film that just settles on every surface that you don't constantly clean. I rarely actually shoot my carry pistol, but I strip it and clean it at least once a week because otherwise I'd be afraid to trust it.

It's just a dirty, unpaved place. I love it here, but so far the cameras really don't.

CorbinKale said...

"I've got a new shiny!"

Shiny!

The Grey Lady said...

If this one ever goes to the great camera grave yard in the desert let me know I will send one of those fisher price super indestructible ones that I started my critters off on. Cool little things that are almost impossible to break, best of all no zoom lenses to get clogged up with dust and sand. :O)

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2620&e=cameralanding