Sunday, August 15, 2010

Beans!

Following last week's culinary bleg, Landlady happened to see an old pressure cooker at a flea market, bought it, tested it, and sent it up Friday night with M, all without saying a word to me. Thanks!



Last night I set some beans to soak, and this morning we gave it a try. I've never used a pressure cooker before, so I read the instructions (which she had thoughtfully downloaded and printed out for me) and then gathered materials. Claire had left half a package of bacon behind, the remains of which I now expended on this experiment. Some tomato sauce, molasses, a diced onion, some brown sugar - Yeah, baked beans call for navy beans rather than the pinto beans I've got about a hundred pounds of, but with enough flavoring beans are beans.


A little watery, but the real question was, "what's the texture of the beans?" I've boiled beans for hours and still had them crunchy. The instructions said to cook these for six minutes after the pressure release starts hissing. Compensating for altitude, I let this go on for about eight. Perfect! Also delicious.

Looks like beans are back on the menu, boys!

5 comments:

suek said...

Congratulations! You could probably thicken those beans up a bit by mashing some of them into the liquid.

Or...depending on the weather...put them in the oven at about 200* or 250* and forget them...evaporation will reduce the liquid. Or ...do you have a wood stove? when the chill season sets in, the back of the wood stove ought to do the same trick. Either put them in another pot, or take the pressure regulator off so the steam can escape.

Mayberry said...

Man, those (faaart) look good : )

Ahab said...

Wonderful! Drain half the soak water for baked bean consistency next time. Joel, you do good work!

Weetabix said...

Joel, your blog has now had a direct and beneficial effect in my life. I found the link for pressure cooking beans through your blog, tried it, and had some very tasty red beans and rice this weekend.

Thanks for the links, suek, and Joel, thanks for the daily ... infotainment?

Plug Nickel Outfit said...

"Looks like beans are back on the menu, boys!"

Ha - finally got that one after a few days! I knew I recognised that from somewhere when I first read it - I was thinking it was from "Blazing Saddles" at first.