Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Lightning Rods

Ramen Fiend said,
I'm moving to the mountains of Montana here soon, and I read this and realized that I need lightning rods (and a dog that isn't afraid of running water). So how does one go about making lightning rods?
Oddly enough, I've been noodling that myself. Though I'm sure a contractor will tell us we'd be safer juggling chainsaws and mason jars of nitroglycerin than building our own lightning rods, it really doesn't look all that complicated.

Look here and here for information. I should think that grounding rods, available at any big home improvement store, should do nicely for both ends. I'm certainly considering putting some on the Lair.

I'll know more after J gets his. He's suddenly gotten very serious about lightning rods, and plans to pay somebody else to do it for him.

4 comments:

Pat H. said...

I did a little search, I'd look at Lightning Rod parts for constructing your own lightning arrestor system.

Anonymous said...

I just installed them on my hilltop home. I'm a DIYer, but this stuff is specialized, and I hate roof work anyway.

-S

Anonymous said...

If you DIY, don't skimp on the cable. It's pricey, well north of $2 a foot for copper, but if you cheap out on the cable it WILL turn into a fuse and explode in the most inconvenient and dangerous possible spot just when you need it most. Look at a few pro installations (most commercial buildings, post offices, etc. have them) and see the size of cables they use.

-S

Anonymous said...

http://www.bondedlp.com/residential/

J might want to contact these folks. They did a good job for me, and they were the lowest of the 3 bids for the job.

Good luck.

-S