Monday, October 25, 2010

Heh. Serendipity!

The battery on the Jeep is getting awfully weak.  I keep meaning to replace it.  Plus the fact that I never take trips of more than 14 miles' duration, and those are rare, means the battery only gets a good charge when I think to raise the hood and put the charger on it.  This is the Jeep's third winter with an underperforming battery, so it's a wonder the thing works at all.

Saturday, I helped M load the generator on the Jeep trailer, and he took it to his Dome.  He needed it to run the cement mixer and a chop saw.  Since he really prefers to walk, he left the jeep, trailer and generator there overnight.  I think maybe he left something on.

So Sunday Landlady and I joined him in working on the Great Retaining Wall Project.  Maybe three hours later, tired and happy to be done for the day, we all loaded into the Jeep.

Which wouldn't start, of course.  Wouldn't even crank.  Battery deader than I've ever seen it.

Normally this would have freaked me out.  There's no electricity at the Dome yet.  My great fear has always involved the Jeep stranding me somewhere in the boonies, with no way to get it back out.  I've always wanted one of those charger/compressor boxes you can just leave onboard, in case of tire or battery problems.  But they're spendy and I can always think of other things to spend surplus cash on.  In this case, of course, there was no big problem.

You've figured out the fix already, haven't you? 8^)

Yup.  Hike back to the Jeep with a battery charger.  Hook it to the battery and generator.  Start the generator.  Go take a little walky with the boys.  Give them a nice Jeep ride home.

It's back, safe and sound.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Standard shift! I actually like a standard shift but it is exactly the problem you described that makes me get one. I can push the car myself and jump in and pop the clutch. When I was young and all cars were 6 volt and all my cars had questionable batteries in them it was not uncommon to park on a hill just in case.

Anonymous said...

Try the Battery Mindr on the jeep battery for a few days. Who knows?

Joel said...

Oh, I intend to. It's busy with the last of my four gel cells at present, but it's got an appointment with the Jeep.