Tuesday, November 16, 2010

One of many reasons I've always loved Garands...


Landlady and I were having coffee this morning, and in reference to I don't remember what she mentioned her rifle's "clip."

I struck a properly scandalized pose and said, "Ahem.  It's not a 'clip,' it's a..."
She started laughing.

I won't say I've never done it myself, because in my younger know-it-all days I used to do it a lot.  My only defense is that I grew out of it.  But she, like me, loves it when some Keyboard Kommando gets all semantic about 'clip' vs. 'magazine,' and then it turns out the rifle in question is a Garand.  Like Landlady's.

Extra style points when the "mistaken" poster turns out to be a woman, who of course couldn't possibly know what she's talking about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finest rifle ever made, the M1 Garand.
With a clip of 8 rounds, lock and load.

Mountain rifleman

Jim said...

:)

I grew up with detachable, reloadable "clips" for everything from Winchester 69s to M1 Carbines. To this day -- unless I'm in a severe pedantic state -- I shove clips into my 1911s.

Anonymous said...

I love me my Garands too, a pair of 7.62NATO chambered models. They are heavy as sin, but that just tells me they are as reliable as an anvil and its proven to be the case for over 20 years now. No sexy magazine sticking out from bottom - that okay, its heavy enough as it is, and shoulder carries fantastically (that a word - oughta be) well.

Joel said...

Mine's an M1A, and I'll admit I do prefer box magazines. But I once saw a young man bring a Garand to a CQB rifle match and kick the ass of more than half the field. He'd been practicing like a ninja, and could swap out clips and have the rifle back in battery faster than I could rock the mag out of mine.