Thursday, December 9, 2010

On spam and deleted comments...

We had a little mystery solved yesterday evening.

Some time ago a valued commenter we'll call S complained that he kept commenting on certain posts, and his posts kept getting deleted. Yesterday afternoon I saw a blurb from Blogger about this NEW! IMPROVED! spam-filtering feature they just now deigned to tell me about. I had to do a bit of research to figure out how to look in the spam closet, and there all those (perfectly legitimate) comments were. Not a bit of spam was even in there.

S, Blogger hates you. One must wonder what you did to offend it.

Go figure, but in the meantime I'll check that folder from time to time now that I know it's there.

2 comments:

The Grey Lady said...

Heh,,,,


The only comments I find in there mention the little blue pill or replica watches along with a URL.

Anonymous said...

I suspected it was Blogger, thanks for the confirmation.

I'm curious about the algorithm that yanked my comments; there was no mention of blue pills or other key words.

I suspect it has to do with the email address I use; it anonymized, but genuine. I even check it from time to time. I've noticed other sites that treat users who try to protect their privacy quite poorly.

It is the age we live in. I'm not a member of the class allowed to protect their privacy and keep secrets, so I'm suspect when I attempt to do so.

Yes, Blogger hates me, but the list of entities who hate me is long and distinguished. They are welcome to join that not very exclusive club.

-S