Monday, December 13, 2010

Success!

My good neighbor D came over after his workday, and helped me slide the stove into place.


Went to the builders' supply on Saturday with Landlady and got the last bit of stovepipe I needed to mate the old pipe to the reducer, cut it to size, put it all together, and then in theory all I needed was another strong back to help me horse it all around.



It was a little late to start a fire in it this evening, because the boys had been in Gitmo all day and I needed to get back to the property. But I'm gonna light it up tomorrow before shit-shoveling and see how long it takes to take the chill off the cabin. Excited!

3 comments:

Joe in Reno said...

Don't be surprised when it stinks smokes the first time as soon as it starts to get hot. It will take a bit to burn off the paint and dust etc.

The Grey Lady said...

Congratulations! This is progress indeed. What else do you need to do in order to make this a better alternative to wintering in your trailer?

Did you ever fix that "Looo" issue?

John Venlet said...

But I'm gonna light it up tomorrow before shit-shoveling and see how long it takes to take the chill off the cabin.

Joel, I tend to think of Dick Proenneke talking about his cabin in Alaska when I read about heating cabins. There is one point in the viddie Alone in the Wilderness where Dick mentions the outside air temp is somewhere below zero, but inside "it's a toasty 42 degrees."

Hope your wood stove provides enough heating to bring the inside temp of your cabin somewhere north of Dick's measure of toastiness.