Monday, April 18, 2011

Another Windy Day.

GC Guy got replacements for the messed-up geiger counter cases he's been waiting for for weeks. That put us back in business for Friday and much of today. Then we ran out of meters. We're just about set to run out of GM tubes. In an amusing aside, GM Guy's dad may have a line on a bunch of Russion GM tubes. Problem - their supply is limited and they're 20 years old, having been warehoused since some Russian plant turned them out post-Chernobyl, but couldn't get them into geiger counters before the bottom fell back out of the market. I feel like I'm vicariously living other people's disasters.

The boys weren't too upset about getting out of Gitmo early, but it's just too bloody windy to do much that's fun. Ghost keeps coming into the scriptorium and whining at me. In the good news/bad news department, it's beginning to appear that we don't have a busted pipe in the barn as I suspected. No, instead my washing machine is on the fritz. I've gone all winter without the blessed thing, and having tired of that I ran a hose to the barn and hooked the machine up to it. No connection with the barn itself, right? So imagine my surprise when the barn flooded again. Hm - that sucks. I've got to tell you, if you're thinking of the off-grid life and wonder what appliances are most important? Washing machine. Definitely.

I think tomorrow I'll have time free to actually do something with the Lair. Don't know if I'll actually accomplish anything, but it's been on my mind.

2 comments:

Tahn said...

Joel,
Sorry to hear about the washer. There are a lot of alternative choices available. Some work great without electricity and a few are cheap. Good luck.


http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Goods___Laundry___Washing?Args=&view_all=&sort_by=

Joel said...

I'm familiar with Lehman's. Not everything they sell is useful, and almost nothing useful that they sell is affordable. I'd a wringer washer, but I'm not paying $1000 for one. And I have some friends who bought one of those little "pressure washers." Useless.