Friday, April 29, 2011

Helpful Hints from the Hermit

Actually it was Landlady who clued me in to this. One kitchen gadget I always wanted but never thought about getting when I actually had opportunity was a rolling pin.

I think about rolling pins every time I need to, you know, roll out some dough. Then I just start looking for anything cylindrical and normally settle for a soup can or something. Landlady found that those religious candles so common in stores around here (non-Catholics call them "Jesus Candles") work perfectly. We keep them around for other purposes, and I hadn't thought of putting one to this use. But having now tried it myself, I can testify that they work great.


Yes, the Jesus Candle - not just for labor saving prayers to saints anymore!

8 comments:

desert fox said...

Plus, they're handy to have around when the power goes out. Both for the light and the prayer that the power comes back on soon. LOL

The Grey Lady said...

I have never seen these for sale up her in the great white north.

The Grey Lady said...

She corrects with a red face: I meant to type up here, not up her...

LJH said...

A long-neck Bud works pretty good too.

Hey, maybe this is the reason some folks see Jesus or his mum in their tortillas??? (I've seen Clydesdales.)

Joel said...

They're big with the Mexicans, GL. I don't think you have many up there.

Matt said...

Best part about those Jesus Candles is in SE AZ, you can get them for around a buck or so. THey even have non-demoninational ones without any kind of lable. I buy them to dig the wax out of to make fire starters.

Since they burn a long time with little light and heat (individually) they could be used as a night light in off grid situations.

Brass said...

Um, candles don't pray for you. Not sure what you mean by "labor saving prayers."

Anonymous said...

During our very infrequent freezes, I used those votive candles to keep the air under a covered tree warmer than normal as well. They stay on all night easily, using maybe 2 inches of wax. Well worth the effort to save some years of work in keeping that tree alive.

Rolling pin - handn't thought of that one - much obliged Hermit!