Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Why are you so frightened of us?

I can't remember how this got in my tabs or I'd hat-tip the link. But heres a former cop instructor with a column in a cop-oriented website, offering tips on how to deal with concealed-carrying "citizens." Most of the article is really kinda useful, because the writer spends the bulk of it showing the signs cops look for, when they're looking for your gun.

Of course I'm only going to quote parts of the column that make cops look bad in my eyes, because that's me. But this column is actually, by cop standards, not really all that down on "citizens" (He uses that word a lot, as if he's not one) who carry guns. By cop standards, the column is really quite even handed. But the use of language is revealing.
As the ‘right to carry’ spreads across the United States, many law enforcement agencies and police officers express their unease — and for some, outright alarm — at the idea of citizens carrying concealed weapons.

In an effort to disseminate useful information that would be of benefit to law enforcement, let me talk about this issue from both sides of the fence so to speak.
The 'right to carry,' officer? You mean the right to carry, right? Because there is one, whether you like it or not.
Philosophically, I support the right to carry for anyone who can exercise the responsibility for proper care and awareness.
I'm not sure if he's contrasting "philosophically" with "practically," because he doesn't say. But I'll give him his due - his criteria for who should be carrying guns is more liberal than any other I've seen an agent of government use. Problem is...
I have found, by and large, that citizens who do carry concealed are very pro-law enforcement and would be very willing to come to your aid if you were in the middle of a fire fight. This can be good and bad but I try never to forget that they are supporters of law enforcement, not felons. This is a BIG difference.
Officer, I'm very anti-law enforcement and would probably let you stew in your own juice if you were in the middle of a fire fight - unless you took my side in one, which I can't see happening. And I'm not a felon. Sorry about that.

The notion that cops shouldn't hassle gun owners because gun owners might at some point help out a cop, is not a very good reason.
...when you make a contact with a CCW, proning them out wouldn’t be my first option without digging a little deeper.
That's darned white of you.
Off-duty cops have a bad habit of not really concealing the gun well. They don’t seem to mind that it will show or that people may notice and take alarm. After all, they are cops and not bad guys right?

Lawful concealed gun carriers also feel as if they are the “good guys.”

I once had a driver/bodyguard for a foreign dignitary during a car stop come out of the car quickly and come rapidly my way while reaching behind him to his right rear waistband. I had already drawn my weapon at that threat indicator, and when I commanded him to stop he was suddenly acutely aware of his faux pas.

He was in a hurry to get the dignitary to a meeting and wanted to establish his bona fides with me ASAP. In his mind, he was a “good guy” and didn’t realize what he had done when reaching for his wallet while rapidly coming out of the vehicle toward me.
Note the use of quotes. "Good guy." "They feel as if they are the 'good guys.'" "In his mind, he was a 'good guy.'" Of course they're not good guys, because if they were they'd be cops. They're civilians. At best, they're citizens. Makes me crazy.

I suppose I should be happy he didn't call us subjects.

5 comments:

MamaLiberty said...

Indeed, and I get very unhappy when these clowns assume that the only right way to carry is "concealed" - I mean if they really, totally MUST go with this "right" thing, of course.

That and the idea that anyone but cops who might DARE to consider carrying had better damned well expect and put up with getting hassled, stopped and even taken down if the poor little cop-wimp feels the least "threatened."

And yeah, the "civilian" thing chaps my hide every time I see it.

Aside from all that BS, I guess it wasn't the worst "cop" take on the subject I ever saw.

Mega sigh...

. said...

Dollar to a donut the foreign thugnitary was from an Arab country. There, you get out of the car and you go to the badgethug.

Anonymous said...

What's really sad is how reasonable the cop-writer sounds, even to a freedomista and second amendment supporter. You almost feel grateful that there's one cop on earth who doesn't feel entitled to "prone" you for the mere possession of a self-defense weapon. (And when did "prone" become a verb, anyhow?)

Thanks for the reality check, Joel.

Anonymous said...

"Why are they so frightened of us?" Because the moment we remember that we can take care of ourselves he's out of a job; not just a job, but a way of life that makes him feel more important than everyone else. Find a cop that believes anyone not part of his elite ruling class is qualified to handle independent thought, much less a firearm. Cops are not scared of people carrying, they are terrified of the principle it represents: that they are not actually as important as they like to make themselves seem.

-A

Joel said...

Anon 11:15: He didn't say he didn't feel entitled to do it. He said it wouldn't be his first choice.