Sunday, May 8, 2011

Oh, this is too much like work.

Okay, so maybe perfect was a little too strong. There was still some digging this morning. Plus getting cinders in the trailer is about as much work as I thought it was gonna be.

Having dug the leach trench and getting the slope right, it's time to start filling it with stuff. I think I've got enough cinders I can scavenge to at least lay down the bed for the pipe.

Also the barrel pit has suffered some erosion. That was never unexpected, since last Monsoon it practically filled with silt and I had to dig it all out again. This time's not nearly as bad, and the pit is quite a bit wider than it needs to be anyway. That's the nature of backhoes, especially in unfamiliar hands. Both M and I spent time learning how to use it while digging this pit. The blocks are for the two barrels, of course. Right now the barrels are on the property, getting fitted with plumbing. I'll show how those are installed after I do it.

The little Jeep trailer really isn't made for a lot of weight, so actually filling it would be a mistake. Still, after a whole lot of shoveling the amount of cinders I actually had to unload into the ditch looked pretty pitiful.

I have just got to get this thing done and filled before it starts getting really hot, or life will not be a good thing for a while.

No comments: