Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wow, guys. Way to be non-judgmental.

8^D

So I'm surfing a bit at Claire's, and she recommends this essay at Get Rich Slowly called "What Do You Care What Other People Think," a question always dear to my heart.

It's not a bad piece, I recommend it. Basically, the problem is that people love to be judgmental of other people. If Prepper A likes to build character and save the planet by bicycling everywhere, then Preppers B-Z are slackers and wannabes for driving cars (Except for Prepper N, who at least bikes in nice weather. (sniff) Fair-weather bikers are so contemptible, but at least she owns a bike.

(Full Disclosure: I no longer even own a functioning bicycle. Ever try to ride one through a sandy wash?)

We see this on gun forums (which GRS definitely isn't) all the time. "California Gunowner" bitches about Kali gun laws. Others show sympathy, but there's bound to be at least one reader who goes all Keyboard Kommando and berates CG for not abandoning all his non-gun property and relocating to somewhere more gun-friendly. Preferably after personally executing the entire population of Sacramento. This provides KK with the opportunity to feel edgy and righteous for having been born in Nevada. How does that work?

Sometimes the "slackers" themselves are the offenders in this regard.
I must say that articles like these bruise my ego a bit. I WANT to do everything possible to minimize my impact on my financial health and the health of the environment, so it bothers me somewhat to continually hear about biking, when it’s just not realistic to my life.
And I can see whomever she's responding to replying, (Because it's what I would say,) "Lady, I'm not judging you for anything you're doing or not doing. But why should I give a damn about how anything I do, or say about what I do, makes you "feel?" If I were attacking you you'd have a point. But I'm not, so you don't. Your ego is your concern: I never give it a thought. I don't try to bust it by criticizing wannabes, and I don't try to spare it by keeping quiet about my own life. My life probably wouldn't be realistic for you. So?"

Anyway - the writer asks, "Can't we all just get along?"
Sometimes we do forget that others don’t have the same options we do. But it’s also true that some of us become indignant when we read stories about living in a tiny house, owning only 100 possessions, growing all of our own food, or having a DIY wedding. We feel judged. That’s unfortunate, because getting defensive can get in the way of noticing other lessons that might be applicable in our own lives.
Perfectly true, and perfectly reasonable. Like I said, it's a good essay. It concludes,
Instead of criticizing yourself, notice what you’re doing right. Be your own personal fan club. Choose your values and follow them as best you can. Keep growing, learning, and stretching. Live well by living wisely. Be nice to yourself. And remember that it does not matter what other people think.
Good advice. Which, alas, the readers are not prepared to accept. The VERY FIRST COMMENT...
I don’t agree with the points made by the non-bike enthusiasts. We can all choose to ride a bike rather than drive our car.

You might say, “but I live in the country and everything is 20 miles away!” Well, that was your choice. By making the choice of where to live, you (at the same time) made the choice not to bike.

My wife and I are making a move into the city and I am ecstatic! I can’t wait to bike everywhere! Not only will it be better for the environment, I will also save a ton of money in gas!
And the battle is engaged. 160+ comments later, it's still raging.

Nobody really needs a television, you know. Even for a hermit, people provide lots and lots of entertainment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I could log in there and REALLY provide some entertainment. I hate smarmy bike people. Hate 'em.
Oh, I have a bike. Ride it now and then too; just hate hard core "I'm saving the planet and you are not" bike riders. Probably due to the huge leaky blue thing full oil fry oil and diesel in the driveway. Maybe I could get on and expound upon how giddy I can be over the fact that on tire on this beast requires about 17 gallons of crude to manufacture.
It's been a while since I got to raising hackles on a website.
Eh.....maybe not. I'm feeling lazy today.

Buck.