Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Kitchen! Handled!

Ever since we first put up the frame on The Secret Lair, my neighbor D has mentioned a number of times that he'd like to help me put in the kitchen counter and cabinets. But he and his wife L are VERY busy building their straw-bale-and-earthbag house, and I don't like asking for something I can't return - like very skilled and time-consuming work - from such a busy man.

But late last week he heard I was putting in a temporary sink stand so I could finish the plumbing, and he looked me up and gave me hell. So I said, "Okay, I'm ready to build the kitchen." And he said, "Okay! I'll meet you at the cabin and we'll take measurements."

And we did. And today he showed up with conseptual drawings for my approval. And now he's working on detailed drawings and a shopping list. His idea is that I'll do all the work; he'll just give me drawings so complete I CAN do it myself with his (impressive) tools. Seems to me drawings that descriptive would be more work than just doing the thing himself, but I'm along for the ride at this point. One gets the impression he enjoys this sort of project, and is tired of plastering straw bales.

Good news: I actually have the money to just buy the stuff and build the thing. How often does THAT happen? Bad news: I put my breaker box and inverter in a very stupid place. But I'd have to tear half the house down to change it now, so that's just where they have to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One nice thing about breaker boxes and inverters is that one doesn't very often have need to access them SO .... they can be covered with a false drawer front or false cabinet front. as long as one CAN actually get to them when it is needed.

Just thinking out loud over here ....

stay safe,

gooch

"deflolog" ? Hmmm