Friday, July 22, 2011

"Mr. President, I don't work for you."

I heard it on the Jeep's radio while running some post-GC chores, and couldn't believe what I thought I was hearing. So I came home and looked it up. Yup, I heard correctly...

In an unusual display of emotion, President Obama angrily responded to House Speaker John A. Boehner's abrupt withdrawal from talks on a debt ceiling increase, and summoned congressional leaders to the White House on Saturday for emergency talks to plot a new course before the Aug. 2 deadline.

Washington (CNN)–President Barack Obama said Friday evening that he has told the Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress to come to the White House on Saturday morning to "explain to me how we are going to avoid default" on the nation's debt.


Wha? He can order the military to bomb and strafe Madagascar for no good reason, according to modern, progressive interpretations of that "commander-in-chief" thing. He can order his dog whatever-his-name-is to stop pissing on the White House rug. He can order a latte. I presume he can order his secretary to bring him the latest copy of the enemies list. But where the hell does he get off ordering congressvermin to do anything at all? Last time I read the constitution, and I admit it's been a while, they don't report to him.

And yet I'll bet not one of them will have the stones to stay home.

No comments: