Thursday, September 1, 2011

Grumble.

I was in such a good mood. Had a really productive day planned. Got some of it done, but it was in the face of impediments.

First! Go cut wood, play with chainsaw. That went reasonably well at first. There's a dead juniper, killed by the dozer driver that cut M's new driveway. M wants it out of there, because it's right where the loader needs to go to backfill his house and transform it from M's Dome to M's Earthbermed House. I want the firewood. Synergy! Saw works like a champ, no surprise since it worked like a champ last year. I got maybe a dozen cuts done and the chain started burning wood. Didn't really pay any attention to see if the saw shop sharpened the chain like I asked them to. Why would you service a chainsaw and not sharpen the chain? Elementary. Well, it turns out I've got two new chains and one really dull old one.

No problem, I wanted to go down to the Lair and lay out tile for the kitchen counter. My great fear is that I don't have enough tile, and I'd like to know that now.



The good news is that I've got enough tile. The bad news is that if I lay it out on a diagonal like this I've got a lot of tile-cutting in my future. Not a surprise, of course, but the Lair's inverter won't run a circular saw which means hauling the generator to the Lair. I'll probably do it this way anyhow, because I like the way it looks.

But look! Sunshine! And it's almost ten, which means I can go to D&L's and cut out my cabinet doors and shelves. Except I couldn't, not really, because their system isn't recharging very well. The sunlight vanished within twenty minutes of my arrival, system voltage dropped below fifty, and that's my cue to turn off the power saw. Clouds rolled in real good, thunder started booming, and it was time to clean up and head home to let dogs out. Only got half a dozen doors cut and nothing edged. Much more to do and I was really hoping to do that today. Bother.

LB thinks he's faking me out. He loves to go for a run when I let him out of Gitmo, but I forbade it for so long he really thinks he's getting away with something when he sidles out of reach and then goes on afterburner toward the wash. I really don't care as long as he comes right back, and he's been pretty good about that. But it's probably bad to let him think he's being disobedient even when I don't mind. Dog psychology - high school doesn't teach it.

Click has ended her predator sabbatical, and I guess she wanted to celebrate. This morning I found an unidentified internal organ in the middle of the floor, no sign of the rest of the body. This afternoon I got home, let the dogs out, watched them disappear into the wash, and went into the Interim Lair for a smoke. There were Feathers! Every! Frickin' !Where! She'd caughter herself a big Mexican Jay and had herself a little party. I'm gonna be cleaning up feathers all evening. I swept the mess out the door, just as she rounded the corner from the barn. She looked at me like, "What you doing with my bird?" To which I replied, in rather angry tones, "Your bird is over there." Cat psychology is much simpler - she just didn't give a shit what I thought.

So anyway - now I'm back in the scriptorium a good two hours before I wanted to be. But I beat the rain, LB and Ghost are all bedded down with Uncle Joel and ready for a quiet afternoon, and I guess I should just relax and enjoy.

2 comments:

Scott McCray said...

Furkids - they'll test your patience, won't they? That countertop is gonna look great - the diagonal is sweet.

Anonymous said...

That's going to look awesome when it's finished, Joel.


Buck.