Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pardon My Dust

I've made some progress on the interior of the Lair lately, and thought it was time for another guided tour. Haven't done that for a year or so, not that there was much change to see in the meantime. Spent all spring working on the septic, and when does that get fun?


One day - not this year - there'll be a covered porch.  With a tiny little balcony on those beams, and a ladder down.  That's my fire escape.  I was going to go with a kick-out panel, but then figured I need to put some secure flooring in up there before I can side the cabin anyway: Why not a banister and an actual (narrow) door?

Look!  Look!  The ceiling under the loft is done!  Lights are in!  I got a whole case of these lights cheap, and I don't know they fell off a truck.  Ugly as they are they might have been pitched off the truck.  But they work!

That's my sittin' corner.  There's a 3-foot roll-top desk that'll go between the chair and the kitchen counter, the corner of which you can just barely see there.

Progress on kitchen has slowed down, because I got excited about the banisters and ceiling.

My keepin' warm corner...

And did I mention I have a genuine functioning flush toilet?  Because really that can't be said too often.

Ol' Uncle (Afraid of Heights) Joel is really concerned about falling off that loft.  I wanted banisters that could bench-press a Peterbilt.

Yeah, the place gets to looking less done when you look up into the loft.  But I'm getting there, I'm getting there.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outstanding! Thanks for the tour.

Scott McCray said...

Looking good - congrats on the progress!

Claire said...

Joel, the Lair is really turning into a gem. Very nice work. I'll bet you're really going to enjoy sitting in your comfy chair reading books this winter.

Curious about the bannisters: Are you going to have several horizontals running along those verticals? When you said 4x4s, I was thinking the design might be clunky, but I see where you're going with it now.

Great pix, too. Especially the exterior shot at the top. Great SW look.

Joel said...

Curious about the banisters: Are you going to have several horizontals running along those verticals?

I'm gonna cap the banisters with two 1X4s and a 1X6 on top, running horizontal all the way across. I *think* that'll be enough, but if it isn't I'll go with another 1X4 halfway down. It can't take more than that, the banisters aren't that tall.

Anonymous said...

Look pretty damn nice, Joel.




Buck.

Claire said...

Thanks, Joel. I'd go with the extra 1x4, I think. Don't want to go rolling off the loft in your sleep -- or have Click fall off in her slumbers.

But looks like you could add that at any time. Really very, very nice job on everything.

Matt said...

Thanks for the tour. That's a might fine lair. You might want to consider the odd booby-trap or two to keep the descendents of Ol' Beowulf out.

LJH said...

Yeah well, Click would likely land on her feet - her human, maybe not (feet, foot, whatever).

How big is that loft? Have you got a California King up there or a cot? It's hard to tell from the picture. The whole she-bang looks great to me, nice & snug & begging for some lace curtains. ;-)

Jim said...

Thank you. I admire projects like this. I especially like picture 1, the wide exterior shot. This building in this setting just looks +right.+

MamaLiberty said...

Looks wonderful, Joel! Congratulations. And don't let Click fool you. She's not going to fall off anything, trust me. :)

Joel said...

I'm not worried about Click falling off. I'm worried about the clumsy old one-legged guy falling off.

Anonymous said...

It's been one of "those" weeks so I am more than a "little" late with a comment.

The Secret Lair is looking pretty "home-like".
Well Done Joel.
But don't listen to all of us Other Folks ... the only fellow you really need to satisfy is the fellow in the mirror. He's a hard case I'm told so it's probably a good idea to be on your best behavior.
{rolls eyes}

stay safe,

g