Friday, October 14, 2011

Silverblog!

I see from Claire that my old friend Silver has a new blog on the Mises site.

I first "met" Silver on the TMM forum damn near ten years ago. We met once in meatspace (for an extended weekend, and if I described it you'd call me a liar to my face) and he's been a friend of TUAK from its inception. The only thing I've got against him is that he's substantially smarter and more educated than I am. Substantially. If there's anything about economics he doesn't know, he ... well, actually I doubt there's anything about economics he doesn't know. He puts his money where his mouth is, and it seems to come back as more money. That's the best endorsement of an economic theory I know.

He's now on the blogroll, and you really should check him out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What sort of altitude do these rockets reach? When I was at a place where model rockets were practical, the biggest engines you could get were E and F. Wasn't there a group a few years ago(Civilian Space Exploration Team?) That got a rocket into space?(62 miles?). Years ago,in high school(mid 1970s),I built a timer/actuator for a film camera(a 126 cartridge Instamatic) that was to be mounted in a "edge-of-space" high altitude amateur radio balloon(in high school physics class). As I recall, it went to around 60,000 feet. A friend of mine was involved with a similar project in the late 1990s,and the balloon went to 102,000 feet. But balloons just ain't as cool as rockets.

Joel said...

Nobody has ever officially sent an amateur rocket as high as 100,000 feet. But it's been scratched a couple of times. Of course they weren't using hobby-shop rockets or motors. You can get commercially-built motors a LOT bigger than F (I've flown them) but that's not what the guys in the video in the other post were using. To qualify as "amateur" as opposed to "high-power" you've got to be able to build your own motors and mix/cast your own fuel slugs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for the kind words, Joel.

For the record, there is plenty about economics I don't know. I'm a student pursuing an avocation, nothing more. The real economists at the Mises Institute know far more than I; they are refining and extending the theories that I am simply learning to understand and apply.

The blog is a tool for my continuing education. Trying to explain something is a great way to expand my own understanding.

Thanks also for including me in your blogroll; I'll reciprocate as soon as learn how. The list of things I don't know is long and distinguished.

-S

MamaLiberty said...

Silver is a heck of a nice guy too... glad to have a great blog to add to my list at PoL - and to visit each day. :)