Friday, October 7, 2011

Success!

Okay, so it's not perfect. That's how people will believe I didn't get somebody else to do it. But I took my time and did it carefully. Impediments were overcome, success was achieved.

Step one: Let's have some heat! It was about forty degrees in the cabin, and that was after giving the morning some time to warm up. Yes, a bird got in there a few months ago.

Step two: Lay the tiles for the easy side out on a table.

Step three: Mix mortar. Oops! I don't have a drill that'll run this mixer paddle! Visited three neighbors before I found a half-inch drill.

This is going well. On to Step four: Do it again on the hard side. This time I had to go back and borrow the tile saw again, which I shouldn't have returned so quick in the first place. I either neglected to cut out two pieces or lost them with exceptional skill even for me. Considered calling it a day, but ... naw. Slowly! Carefully! This is the confusing part.

Ta da!

10 comments:

Claire said...

It's a thing of beauty, Joel. And all the more beautiful because you did it yourself.

What do you plan to trim the edges with?

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome, turned out great!

Adventures in Self Reliance said...

Good on you Joel. It all takes time and you are gonna get hit with a bit of cool (or bllody fricking cold weather) But the best way to learn is to do. I love the loft!!

Big Wooly said...

Great job, Joel! I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! That is great, looks fab too. Wish I was at that point in our place....oh well, forge on.

Joel said...

Claire, Neighbor D has some old and very hard oak planking. That's going to trim the outside and also form the backsplash.

Anonymous said...

Joel, you may already know this, but after you grout the tile, be sure to seal it very well before you use the counter. Sealing will keep you from getting messy -- and permanent -- stains in the grout and will help with cleanliness as well.

Oak trim -- nice!

Joel said...

Yup, I've got sealer on its way along with the grout. And the grout will be the same color as the tiles, so stains won't show as bad. Because on a counter owned by unsanitary ol' me, bacteria doesn't need any more help than it'll already get and there will be stains.

Don said...

now see that wasnt hard

MamaLiberty said...

Looking good. :) And smart move on the colored grout. I spent a number of years cleaning white grout around nearly black tiles in the bathroom for my aunt. I had to use a bleach paste with a toothbrush.

If anyone wonders why I have no interest in ever having ceramic tiles anywhere... that should tell you the story. :)