Thursday, October 20, 2011

We can do this the easy way, or we can do it the hard way.


I've passed this tree at least 500 times. Some time in the past it lost its last rooting to erosion, fell down and went boom, and then just quietly lay there curing in the sun and waiting to meet a woodstove. Every time I pass I send welcoming thoughts its way, inviting it to my firewood rack. Every time, it rudely ignores my overtures. At some point, patience must give way and even such an urbane fellow as I must take offense.

Never offend a guy with a chainsaw, if you're immobile and made of wood. Today it got its comeuppance. It'll take a few sessions, because I had other things to do and don't like to work hard. But it's already starting to see things my way.

3 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

It's wicked Halloween scenery, but mesquite makes nice cookin' flavors.

Forest Guy said...

Amazing how broad the definition of of "tree" is. What do bushes look like in your neighborhood?
...grin...

Joel said...

Hm. I had this same discussion with Claire one time. Bushes actually look pretty much the same, only smaller. If you can't see over it, it's a tree.