Friday, November 18, 2011

Hey, wanna go to federal prison?

It's so quick and easy! All you need is one or more of these...

...and to be in possession of a legally-registered "silencer."

Seriously.
The rationale Spencer uses:

A silencer is a firearm per U.S. Code, subject to National Firearms Act registration and transfer tax requirements.

“[S]ound/gas absorbing materials manufactured from Chore Boy copper cleaning pads, along with fiberglass insulation, constitute a silencer…”

Therefore, it is illegal for an individual to replace deteriorated material within an already- registered suppressor without an approved ATF Form 1, ‘Application to Make and Register a Firearm,’” along with a “$200.00 making tax” and “a ‘no-marking’ variance…since there is no viable area in which to apply a serial number to the sound-absorbing material.”
I've been waiting for years for the staff of The Onion to just throw up their hands and give up trying to keep up with reality. In a world with such absurd people in it, what use is satire?

2 comments:

Kevin Wilmeth said...

The chuckle here came from the title.

Hey, wanna go to federal prison?

That's a good one, isn't it? All any of us have to do to ensure that possibility is to keep on breathing. (It's the new probable cause.) They'll find something to hang you on--who knows or cares what it'll be--in about 5...4...3...

But the money quote is definitely the last one:

I've been waiting for years for the staff of The Onion to just throw up their hands and give up trying to keep up with reality. In a world with such absurd people in it, what use is satire?

I am so stealin' that. :-)

Anonymous said...

I better go yank the 2000 square feet of fiberglass insulation (massive arsenal of efficiency) out of my attic before the batmen come and take me away. Holy shit! I am so screwed. The only way to dispose of it is to drive it right by a school.
Oh well. That will get me another 20 years for violating a gun free zone.
I think I also have some shoelaces and zip ties.

I'm such a rebel.

Buck.