Thursday, January 19, 2012

Maybe you should offer him the use of your wife and daughters, too.

This was just a typical wrong-address puppycide story, until the second-to-last paragraph. Maybe a bit more over the top than usual, but not hard to fit in the matrix of my pre-existing beliefs.

The cop is at the wrong address. Maybe that's his fault, maybe not. I don't know. He shoots a dog that's chained in the garage. Okay, it's a recently rescued dog, which means it's probably screwed up in the head, and Shepherds can be excitable. He didn't have to shoot it, of course, but I can believe it did lunge at him and provide an excuse. It's not a "three cops on a Chihuahua" story so far.

Then the cop goes overboard, as they so commonly do...
“I said, ‘Why [did] you shoot my dog?’ And he said, ‘Well, I'll blow your brains out.’ I said, ‘Hold on a minute, you just killed my dog. Why you want to blow my brains out? My hands are up.’ I said, ‘I don't have no gun,’” Anthony Currie said.
This is getting serious, well above and beyond puppycide, which is serious enough for most days. I'm certainly not going to criticize the homeowner for not going all Molon Labe on the cop, because I wouldn't have, either.

But for crying out loud!
“Now that I know what he was dealing with and there's human error, I can understand why it happened.”
Wha? That's...very understanding of you. The poor guy was just having a bad day, after all. No need to get all vindictive and stuff. Can't we all just get along?

This is why the problem gets worse. As a very, very wise man once said, the equation is so damned lopsided. The result of resisting power is destruction; the result of using it is gratification without consequence. So of course it gets used - over and over, more and more.

And of course! Of course!
The first officer faces no disciplinary action, but he will have to go before the shooting review board and face an internal investigation.
After all, he was just having a bad day. A nice paid vacation will chill him right out. I'm sure they'd do the same for you or me.

No comments: