Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ofer heaven's sake...

It ain't that big a deal.
We had Steve stand on the corner of Main Street with a loaded weapon on his side, out in the open. Dozens of people walked right by Steve without noticing anything. There were a few who seemed to notice the gun and take a second glance but kept on walking. When we added three more open carriers and a child more people seemed to notice the guns. Most we talked to offered support.

Okay, I remember when I moved here and had a very hard time open carrying in town. In town I carried concealed at first even though that wasn't legal (no license) just because I didn't want to cause - or be a part of - a hassle. I'd been illegally carrying a concealed pistol for years'n'years, and that was my comfort zone. So I guess this sort of article shouldn't annoy me as much as it does, and truthfully I do very occasionally run into people who don't like it though only one ever said anything.

So I guess I should be more sympathetic. But I swear sometimes it only seems like a big deal because people who should know better make it a big deal. It's a gun, not a demon on your belt with a mind of its own. Act like it, and most other people will. In the process, you're helping to re-normalize something that should never have become abnormal in the first place.

7 comments:

Claire said...

I remember being there when that one guy "said something." It was pretty much what you'd expect from an anti.

If I recall correctly, he made a snarky, passive-aggressive remark about you to a store clerk within your hearing -- but he didn't have the guts to confront you, even though he was about six inches taller and 50 pounds heavier.

As I also recall, when he walked out, the store clerk rolled her eyes over his bigotry.

Stephen said...

Amen. Well said...

Plug Nickel Outfit said...

"But I swear sometimes it only seems like a big deal because people who should know better make it a big deal."

You'd wonder sometimes... if you took away some people's fears and imaginings - what would you have left?

Plug Nickel Outfit said...

I notice a comment that I left on this post yesterday seems to have disappeared.

Something I said?

Joel said...

Sorry, PNO. You seem to be one of the few, the happy few, that Blogger has chosen to send to the spam locker for no apparent reason.

You're in very good company, though. Every time Claire comments and I see it in my Thunderbird inbox, I know it's time to go fish her out of the locker.

What surprises me is that your second comment didn't go there. Usually it's once in, never out.

Joel said...

Oh, and assuring Blogger that your comment is Not Spam does no permanent good.

Plug Nickel Outfit said...

Thanks, Joel. It wasn't that what I'd written was so important - I just wanted to make sure I hadn't inadvertently pee'd in the punchbowl!