Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oh, what a beautiful morning...

Sun, sun, sun. Not a cloud in the sky. Temperature down to a little over 10 degrees and ice on all the windows, but that's okay; it'll warm up fast now. I'm gonna get back on those 2X12s and see how many I can knock out. I can dream that the wind will behave itself.

It got so cold last night even Fritz wanted under the covers with me, a physical impossibility. He and Ghost couldn't figure out just what they wanted, but it sure wasn't sleep; at 2:30 they started agitating to go outside and we had a little argument which, I'm ashamed to say, they eventually won. They've got more staying power than I do but that doesn't make them unusual; it's always been a problem. I finally just wanted to get it over so I could go back to sleep, but by the time they came back in I was so pissed I couldn't. Grr.

Oh, whatever; it's still a gorgeous day. The generator was due in town yesterday but never made it; I've got a ride lined up to get it but need to confirm its presence first. I've been putting off buying propane, expecting to go to town for the generator last week, and now I'm on short rations but there's enough to squeak by.

On the subject of dogs - I don't know if this is a common trait with old dogs, but Magnus' ability to sleep through anything, for incredible lengths of time, is just eerie to me. He sleeps so deeply I keep checking to see if he's still breathing. By the time he stirred this morning (While I was slicing bread for my breakfast; that will get him up) I calculated that he hadn't moved but once in over fifteen hours. That one time was when I got him to move over so Fritz could share the bed, and as usual it was a fight; he really, really doesn't like to be disturbed once he's comfortable and sleeping.

While I was typing the above paragraph I heard him barking outside the scriptorium. None of the other dogs were alerted to anything, so I went outside to see what his problem was. He was upset because some jays were stealing dog food out of the bowl, which they do constantly. Food is pretty much the only thing he gets excited about these days. Well, we all need our passions. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thunder and I very much enjoy your gulchly updates, Joel. ;-) Thank you. --Lightning