Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sitemeter and Vanity

Ever since installing a freebie version of Sitemeter, it has become a minor daily hobby to see how I'm doing in terms of readership. Hardly a matter of world-shaking importance, but it's still kind of a kick to see whether we're gaining readers - or at least page hits - and if so how fast. Sitemeter charts it all out. Pretty slick.

Yesterday was looking like a record day; when I shut the 'pooter down and picked up a book for the evening, I was only two or three hits from an all-time best. So this morning I was interested to learn what the final figure turned out to be.

Three.

Three? Three? WTF? I was actually upset at this apparent glitch. I was offended. My top score in the game, just wiped out? How dare they?

Then, as I often have to, I stopped and looked at my own reaction. Joel, you wanna explain why this number, which has meaning only to your vanity, is getting you so wound up? It's not like there's a prize. If you want to look better in your own eyes, take a bath and a haircut. Put on a better looking pair of britches. Or even - I don't know - improve yourself. Geez, nobody else can even see the damned daily number. And I guarantee nobody gives a damn. Get over yourself.

I got an email from Sitemeter, apologizing for a server problem they'd had and promising to restore the log, which they later (and quite promptly) did. Yesterday was a record day - thanks. But I think I need a better hobby.

5 comments:

PintofStout said...

Welcome to blogging. We act like we do it for noble purposes and wave off the numbers, but yet we still obsess about them. Blogging brings out the vanity in the most humble of us.

Just as a side note, I usually read from Google Reader. I don't know if it counts this or can, but for what it is worth...

Anonymous said...

"Just you wait, Balko! Someday your car will get jacked or your house will get burglarized. Good luck getting one of us to come write the report. Then you'll be sorry!"

In other words, you don't like what someone said, so you're not going to do your sworn duty. You sir are a dick of the highest order.

Joel said...

Uh...Dude?

You might want to check what website you're on. That was Reason.com.

Also, if you check the sig line (which you apparently did not read) on that post (which I did make) you'll see that it was a joke. You've heard of jokes, right?

Radley Balko happens to be a hero of mine.

Finally, while I may be a dick, I am not now and never have been a cop. So at least I've got that going for me.

The last cause said...

Still winning friends and influencing people Joel.

Joel said...

Yeah, unfortunately I seem to do my best work in that regard when I don't know I have.

Ah, well.