Thursday, April 2, 2009

First Pics of the Puppies

About a week and a half ago I mentioned that I might be adding a pup to the pack. This morning my friends S&L sent me the first glimpse I've had of the litter. This is a quandary.



The mama is the one they're clustered around in the first picture. If she's a pure Shepherd I'll eat her paws with chili sauce. She looks more like a Shepherd/Doberman mix. The father is an Akita - I'm told. Every web picture I could scrape up of Akita Shepherds shows a mixed bag in regard to appearance, and this litter certainly fits that rule. Two of them look like Aussies.

They want me to pick! What's to pick from? Eeny meeny miny mo? Yike!

UPDATE: Mystery solved! If I'd scrolled down and read the whole email, I'd have known the answer. It seems there's a polyandry going on here; very reverse Mormon. Heather, it seems, Has Two Daddies. One's an Aussie, the other might be American Akita or a mix; he's definitely not Akita Uni. Any of those latter pups would serve; they'll be big and aggressive but not crazy. I think Anonymous is right: Male and calm around noise is the way to go.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pick a male, whichever one seems friendliest and least frightened by loud noises. You DO want to take him shooting, no?

C.M. said...

Funny I would be going female if I was taking care of other dogs, some of which are obviously aging. It would just simplify the pack pecking order placement, possible infighting and constant testing of the new one as he senses weakness in the other dogs as they get older.

But then I like peaceful living conditions.

Joel said...

You're not the only one to make that suggestion, CM, and you could be right. I've been told my objection to female is rather sexist: I'm afraid a female won't be aggressive enough to be safe. The dogs have to protect their territory and it's not unknown - though rare - that they have to fight for it. I'd rather they scrap among themselves now and then than not be able to fight as part of the pack. Also with Magnus getting so old, the pack will need a new leader and I'd rather it not be Fritz.

Thunder said...

Damn. I SO want one.

Don't anthropomorphize the dogs WRT gender. The dog world isn't like the human world and it doesn't matter which sex they are. If they're going to be a badass, they're going to be a badass whether they've got a yambag or not.

In humans, females tend to be of slighter build. Animal world, not so much.

Anonymous said...

Females have to be spayed (usually more expensive than neutering) or they get periods and go into heat. Are your other dogs all fixed?

C.M. said...

I tend to agree with thunder but that is in regards to the character of the dog, some are just naturally dominate, mean or loco. I'm not sure what you mean by safe, but the ladies can take care of themselves and their family/pack unit. Females in my limited experience are more accepting of a pecking order of the pack but that has nothing to do with their ability or inclination to protect the home territory.

Sorta looks like you have made your decision already, it's going to be a bouncing boy then for the new PAPA?

Joel said...

Accepting of the pecking order would certainly foster calmer relations with this bunch, there's no question of that. By "safe", I mean "not food." It's a consideration out here, and one I worry about. I recently lost my tomcat to the predators, and while I didn't like that (he really was a jerk, but he was my jerk) it'd kill me to have it happen to one of the dogs.

Thing is, except for these guys I really don't know very much about dogs. I know I can handle males, even when they're being domineering and unreasonable. I just don't know much about females or how they'd behave in this environment.

CaptGooch said...

OK
It sounds like you have made your choice already but If you wanted My opinion I'd choose the pup that chose Me.

Most of them will come see what's going on and most of them will play with the pants cuff and the loose fingers and such.

Usually ONE of them will actually Look at You. Not your hands not your pants cuffs not the string you're swinging but Right. At. You.

That's your dog mate.

If you wanted my two cents there they are.

No Matter ....
I Wish you both all the Best,

g