Saturday, July 4, 2009

New water source! Pt. 3


The wellhouse is complete except for paint. There's talk of finding a London Underground sign.

Next step: Electrical and plumbing, lower the pump into the casing, and see if we can pump it clear. Dunno how much of that we're going to accomplish today, though: We've social obligations later this afternoon, and both M and I have been dragooned into baking bread for the get-together.

UPDATE: M got all the wiring and plumbing together and sealed against water incursion, we filled a barrel with water as a source for the pump, and there was no further excuse not to test.


We carried the solar panel into the sun, whipped off the blankets that had masked it...


...And we heard the submerged pump start to whir at once. It's a low-flow pump, designed to run continually whenever there's enough light on the solar panel and the cistern isn't full, so it took a couple of minutes before all that tubing filled. But as soon as it did...


AGUA!!!!

Next step: Install it all in the well.

Frankly at the rate of flow I've now seen this thing deliver, I'm more than ever wondering if it's ever going to be possible to pump the well clear. But we'll see. At worst, we'll need the coarse filter we're already planning to install.

1 comment:

C.M. said...

Hello Joel,

Nice to see some things are happening for you. Progress is delightful, I just came back from camping with my brood of critters and do you know what I figured out? All the rain in Spain falls mainly on my campsite...10 days straight of rain and I didn't kill a single soul. I do my Mamma proud.

Oddly the thing I looked forward most about getting back to civilization? A real shower...how can that be? I've been wet for ten days straight.....