Monday, October 25, 2010

"I'm a gun owner, but...

Robb over at Sharp as a Marble points out that activist-type gun owners don't really need activist-type antigunners as opponents.  Gun owners, like any other beleagured minority, carry their own opposition with them wherever they go.  This one's all afraid of what will happen in Florida if open-carry activists start getting ink.
I am establishment when it comes to guns. I support Florida's concealed-weapons law and the Stand Your Ground law. I cheered when the Supreme Court overturned the gun ban in Washington, D.C. I'll be heading for the gun range this weekend.
Liberals think I'm the unholy spawn of Charlton Heston and Marion Hammer.
But this is too much.
Yeah, sure.  I support laws giving me a privilege to carry a gun as long as I pay the fee, hide the gun, and act like I'm ashamed of it.  Except for when I don't support those laws.  Which is always.  And I don't care what "Liberals" think I am.

And to be perfectly honest, I think "open-carry movements" like the recent flurry in California really are kinda silly. "Look at me! I'm legally carrying an open handgun! Of course it's unloaded, because anything else would be illegal. I'm a law-abiding citizen! A good guy! See? So abandon your entire legislative history and pass laws in my favor!" Sorry, that just wasn't going anywhere. So I might make a point similar to that of the writer, if we were really in agreement. Doesn't mean I'd work against them.

But he gives himself away in the very next para:
These guys conduct open carry demonstrations, where they stand around like exhibitionists, exposing their weaponry for all to see. What would Freud think?
Freud?  Dude.  He might, but didn't, think something like "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."  But after that crack, it hardly matters what Freud thought about anything. When you get snide allusions to exhibitionists exposing themselves, you're reading something from the more bigoted side of anti-gun punditry: People who don't just think gun owners are wrong, they think (or want you to think) they're sick.

There's a word for someone writing the "I'm a gun owner BUT" kind of article who resorts to Fractured Freud Jokes. And the word is...

Liar.

2 comments:

Kevin Wilmeth said...

Love this:

"I support laws giving me a privilege to carry a gun as long as I pay the fee, hide the gun, and act like I'm ashamed of it."

Well jeez, Joel, ya put it like thaat, and he does kinda sound like an invertebrate slug...it's sure a good thing most folks can't tell a sophistry from a dessert confection, isn't it?

Don't know if you follow David Codrea's work, but his usual semantic would focus on this person's "big but". (As long as we're down the prurience path, it's hard to argue with the wording...)

Joel said...

I do pop in on Codrea from time to time. He's a fella I'd like to meet.