Friday, December 24, 2010

Irony

Spent a portion of this morning on my knees, scraping shit out of the floormat grooves in a horse trailer. And my only regret was ... I shouldn't have spent time last night sharpening my knife.

Once, during my Mr. Suburban Man phase, I thought I wanted to be a manager. You know, the fellow with the office on Formica Row who, when he passes your cubicle, you quickly minimize the NSFW content you were reading and bring up that text doc or that spreadsheet. Some of the most unhappy days I ever spent were during the times when I actually made some part of that ambition come true. It's just not me.

And I recognized that wasn't for me, but I never saw myself as an itinerant shit-shoveler (we prefer Equine Excrement Engineer) and full-time slacker. Even when I gave up management dreams and settled into actually producing product for companies, I was driven by that ol' Yankee Work Ethic. Heh - I seem to have mislaid that somewhere along the way.

What a long, strange trip it's been.

Anyway, the weekend's gonna be weird and busy, and all next week I'll be in a city so posting might get a little sporadic. Or it might not, if things are interesting but lend themselves to keyboard pounding. Either way, y'all enjoy your Christmas.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Joel! Have a wonderful(survivable) week in the city. K

MamaLiberty said...

Indeed... have a great Christmas. Be careful out among those English...

We'll be watching for your return. :)

Phil said...

Merry Christmas from the Ornery Bastard.

Julie said...

Merry Christmas - stay safe

Anonymous said...

And you as well.

gooch

Big Wooly said...

May the wind be at your back, the skies clear, and your friends always beside you. Merry Christmas, Joel.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas

Bennie

Anonymous said...

Hey Joel,

In Zeptember I began a month staying in the big shitty. Wow, noise, people, activity, more noise 24/7. Ugly!

There was not much closer to the crest of my needs than to return to the small, quiet, peaceful outback on the western edge of civilization I call home.

Enjoy your time there. But, I believe it will reinforce your earlier choice to move into the wonders of the desert.

John