Friday, July 1, 2011

Country boy can survive.

M and I just got back from town, where we ran into a guy I haven't talked to in a while.

You remember I told you a few weeks ago, how a big black bear broke into the house of a neighbor, who drove him off with a 9mm? I'm not a big guy at all, but this fellow makes me look like a titan. If he's more than 130 pounds soaking wet with lead weights on his boots, I'd be surprised. He's skinny as a fencepost, inoffensive as a man can possibly be, and just this side of flamboyantly gay. In a properly redneck environment he'd have "bash me" written all over him.

But he fought off a 500-600 pound bear with a small handgun, and no warning. Yeah, he confirmed the story I heard back then. I'd thought maybe it was really his partner, who is a much more formidable specimen.

Don't screw with people you don't know. Just sayin'.

5 comments:

Matt said...

I guess a 9mm is still better than beating the bear with your purse...

Anonymous said...

My purse has a 10MM Glock with 15 hot 200 grain loads in it.


Buck.

MamaLiberty said...

Kudos to the guy with the 9mm. Whatever works!! It was his attitude that saved him, however. Without that fighting spirit, it would not have mattered much what he used.

And it is always amazing the vast variety of people who demonstrate that spirit.

Joel said...

Absolutely. I was very impressed - and he did tell me his only regret was that at the time he didn't think there was time to run for his rifle.

I spent a week or so worrying about a wounded bear showing up for more mayhem, but it's now been going on a month. Apparently it either died somewhere or (I hope) survived its wounds and learned its lesson.

Anonymous said...

Hey man... "It ain't the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog."

True words, well said.