Saturday, July 2, 2011

"Cover of the Rolling Stone," Updated

Found here:


Cover of the Rolling Stone


(with apologies to Shel Silverstein, and Dr. Hook - original lyrics, mp3)


Well I'm an ex-V.P., without a Ph.D.
Idolized everywhere I go
I preach of disaster and show slides about warmth
For a hundred thousand a show*
I write Congressional bills and I got media shills
And lobbyists I can phone
But though I'm a fixture, I can't get my picture
On the cover of the Rolling Stone

[Refrain]
Rolling Stone
Wanna see my picture on the cover
Stone
Wanna buy five copies for my mother
Stone
Wanna see my frowning face
On the cover of the Rolling Stone

To meet a desperate need I wrote a brilliant screed
Of just seven thousand words
A work of style and great importance
Like they had never heard
You'd think I would get a front page spread
'Cause my face is so well known
And so it enrages to be in the back pages
Of the stupid thankless Rolling Stone

[Refrain]

I got a lot of over-zealous Greenpeace groupies
Who swallowed all my lies
I got an Indian railroad expert
Who's sharing in my Nobel Prize
I got land and jets and mansions and cash
And an Oscar of my own
And I keep gettin' richer but I can't get my picture
On the cover of the Rolling Stone

[Refrain]

* Yes, that's his price.

No comments: