Thursday, September 22, 2011

Time to have a talk about longevity and money.

This is very uncomfortable to me.

Almost exactly a year ago I announced that TUAK would be going dark, because it had lost its sugar mama and I couldn't take up the slack. To my shock and delight a good friend of the blog ponied up enough money to keep me online for months. She did it again since then. When that money ran out I was working a nearly regular job and have been paying for it myself.

But life is change, and a number of things are changing. People have all the geiger counters they want, my income has gone back to "irregular" status, and in the very near future I will be required to decide whether to move the whole infrastructure to the Lair - which means signing up for another 24-month obligation - or shutting the whole thing down and bumming wifi for email. I am not comfortable about my ability to sustain that first obligation. And I am not going to ask my one (very generous) contributor to do it for me.

I said at the time "To ask people to make sustained contributions for a little 200-hit-a-day hobby blog would be absurd." To be honest I still think it kind of is. Certainly with my numbers, putting up Google ads or something would not be a significant help. On the other hand, I have tangible proof that not everybody finds it absurd.

So I'm opening comments to see what regular readers think. I don't have a paypal account and don't plan to get one, but I can start and post an email addy specifically for people who want to make contributions. I do have a person willing to handle the account, but I'm not going to broadcast the contact info for that person. These contributions would be used for the account, and for no other purpose. So not a lot of money would be needed. Uncle Joel does not need or want other people to pay for his beans, rice, or bullets. The person handling the account has proven utterly honorable and reliable over several years - I would (and do) trust her with a great deal more than a few hundred bucks.

I've got a few days before I have to tell Landlady what I'm gonna do, so tell me what you think.

17 comments:

Jac said...

I'd be willing to chip in a couple bucks here and there (what money the creature growing in my wife's tummy allows me to keep, anyway)... Totally worth it.

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you what I told Claire; you've given me a lot of great value over the past year, so asking me to contribute in order to keep that value flowing is not only logical, I should think it would be expected.

I'd be happy to repay you with cash. Well, cash in the form of ones and zeros anyway...

MamaLiberty said...

I can chip in a little, Joel. More if I sell my book. I can also do a little, maybe, to help you sell your books. I'll post that on the Price of Liberty this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Count me in.

-S

don said...

ponie up a couple for the enlightenment/ entertainment

Anonymous said...

I come to your blog a few times a day and I would certainly miss it if it "went dark" - although I am not exactly sure what that means...

Is it just that you would stop updating it and it would sit idle, due, perhaps, to you losing internet access. Or would you take TUAK out behind the barn...

Either way, I would be a little less enlightened, and I need all I can get. Thank you for your writing.

I would be happy to help out! Is there a number you have to hit? You need one of those 'thermometer' thingies...

Trey ~

Anonymous said...

Yeah, STFU already and install a donation button. We love you.

WolfSong said...

Count me in...I'd fling a few bucks your way when I have some extra...I enjoy reading your ramblings far too much to not kick some $ into the kitty. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'd chip in for one of the few things I bother to read daily...

monkeyboyf said...

Count me in. It's worth it. You are worth it.

LJH said...

What Anonymous #4 said.

I like that your humor is dark but it would piss me off if your whole blog went that route.

iloilo jones said...

Count me in.
feralfae

jack said...

What kind of deal do you have with lulu? Would it help if we bought few extra books?

Big Wooly said...

I'm in. Better you than a bake sale. Never liked them damned cookies anyway.

Anonymous said...

Joel,

$ on the way.

-UnReconstructed

Anonymous said...

Im in. Zookeeper

Anonymous said...

Of Course I'm late to the party Again ...

I don't know who this "Uncle Joel" person is but Li'l Bear needs his chronicler to be able to continue chronicling doesn't he?

I'm in.


Stay Safe,

gooch