Saturday, April 21, 2012

This kind of job drives me nuts...


You think you're done, right? And then you wash off the dust, and find you're not done at all. This thing apparently spent most of its time with the sun on its front, because the clear coat was just bubbling off it there. And every time I thought I had it feathered down and paintable, it turned out I'd just opened up a whole bunch more unfeathered transitions.  So I finally just burned through a whole bunch of sanding disks and took it all off.  Time consuming, but I finally got paid.

I put damn near ten hours into this thing by the end.

2 comments:

Mayberry said...

Oh I HATE clear coat paint jobs. Yep, stripping to bare metal is the best remedy, otherwise the new paint will look like the surface of the moon...

Anonymous said...

I got Lucky?
The two horse trailer that I was given as a B'Day present was so badly rotted that the whole top came off with a saber-saw and has been converted to a really stout, open topped, low free board utility trailer so no fancy paint job was required.
"That's not Rust. Those are "character marks" no wait ! Freckles that's what they are "experience freckles". {rolls eyes}

Sheesh ...
Blogger seems to be relegating me to the round file again. Thanks Blogger. (to see my Stasi response search the trash bin)

Oh BTW ... Good Job on the trailer refinish. {thumbs up}

stay safe,

gooch