Sunday, December 21, 2008

Neighbors in the Boonies

I've mentioned that I have good relationships with three of the five sets of neighbors who live within walking distance. One of those three has been kind of problematic for me, I admit. Not his fault, he's a helluva nice guy. I just had a bit of trouble warming up to him because he talks a lot. Also visiting is an issue because they've got horses and I rarely go anywhere without the dogs. Dogs, horses, bad mojo; especially my dogs, who think large animals are for chasing. Again, totally not his fault.

But he knows I'm gathering materials for Joel's Secret Lair, The Final Edition. He and his wife just recently finished their desert house (and did a very nice job), and found himself with some extra windows which he offered to sell me at a good price. A couple of weeks ago I went over and paid his wife for the windows - he was off in the city on some business - but due to transport considerations couldn't pick them up right then. This morning I trekked over - locking up the boys in Gitmo first - to let him know I really did plan to get them out of his yard in the near future. He invited me in and wanted to show me his new baby - a brand-new heavy-barrel Bushmaster AR15. Not an inexpensive rifle. Now, see, this is guy bonding stuff; he's been trying to be friends with me for some time and I've been kind of keeping him at arm's length because - well, you know. I'm a hermit. He talks too much. What can I say? But he's really making an effort, and unless I want to be a complete jackass I really need to respond. Besides, when a guy wants to talk guns we've found some common ground.

Anyway, he asks me about the pistol I habitually carry, a 1911 .45. He's never shot one before. I say how about you come back to my place right now, we'll go down to the range and you can empty a couple of magazines and see if you like it. Meanwhile, if you don't mind, maybe we could put these windows in the back of your pickup and we can kill the proverbial brace of birds. He thinks this is a fine idea, so that's just what we do.

After the pistol I show him a real battle rifle and we squeeze off a few rounds just so he can say he has. We spend another hour or so standing around my yard talking guns. Meanwhile he gets used to the dogs, who though rather large and intimidating at first are really sweethearts and total suckers for anybody who'll scratch their ears.

All in all, a couple of morning hours well-spent. I feel better about the whole thing, since I really have been feeling bad about not responding very positively about his overtures. We might not end up big bosom buddies, but for sure we understand each other better and are likely to be more mutual help in the future.

Boys and their toys, neh?

1 comment:

CaptGooch said...

Quote Joel:
"I say how about you come back to my place right now, we'll go down to the range and you can empty a couple of magazines and see if you like it."

What ? No I'm always this color of green when folks talk about their rifle and pistol ranges ... Why do you ask ?

Well done Joel. Two chores one day.
New Friend [sort of ....] + new windows moved.