Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Here's Another...

...of those unoccupied dwellings I mentioned yesterday...



I really don't know what the story is here. These folks spent considerable money on fencing materials. The fence is not completed, nor is the little patio they started behind the trailer, and hundreds of dollars worth of materials lay on the ground untended. As far as I can tell the area has never been inhabited past scattered camping trips. The trailer is too small for a bathroom and there's nothing like a septic field, but also no outhouse. It looks like they got interrupted in the middle of their project and just never returned. I've never seen anyone around it. It just sits on a ridge, hidden from almost all angles.

Unlike the other trailer I showed you, there's substantial dollar value just laying around here but untouched by visitors. These solar panels are more than enough to keep the batteries up so that they won't discharge and sulfate. As you can see, local theft is not a big problem at the moment or this place would be stripped. I assume somebody local watches out for it, but I don't know it's true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel, let me say (and please take) this in the friendliest possible way...

I think if I were the owner of one of these places you're profiling, which would mean that presumably I'd started up a little retreat in the desert for reasons of privacy, I might be a bit - er, annoyed - at having my place posted on the internet by a stranger who hadn't given me a heads-up first...

Joel said...

It's a thought I've had as well. I might be annoyed too, were I them. And I did consider it.

Of course I'm saying nothing whatever about locations. Unless you live here, and maybe not then, you couldn't find these places if you spent your life looking for them.

My principle reason for doing so, I suppose, is to give would-be retreaters some notion of what other folks are doing, what might work and what really wouldn't.

But it is a good point.