Monday, March 9, 2009

And now we'll see!

I went over to my neighbor D's place to ask of he had some plastic and could he help me cover the fruit tree. He was pretty skeptical of the utility of this, but agreed to go along with the joke. So a little later in the afternoon he and my other neighbor J showed up. By this time the wind had come up, and D asked, "Do you have a plan?"

Misunderstanding, I started to explain again that yeah, the idea is to cover the tree and keep the frost off the blossoms. "No," he said, "Do you have a plan for getting plastic over a 12-foot tree in this wind?"

Good question! We took some long 2x4s, laid them parallel to each other, wrapped the plastic around the far ends and lifted them up. The wind did the rest, and then all we had to do was hold things in place while I went round and round the tree with Gorilla tape.

It's good, heavy construction-grade plastic, but nobody is completely convinced this will survive the wind. All we can do is try.

If this actually works...apricots!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel, I think you may have gone too far the other way. Seems to me that you may have created an enclosed greenhouse and this could get very hot. You might want to keep a close eye on the temps inside the plastic.

Joel said...

Interesting point I hadn't considered - thanks!

I'll monitor the temperature, maybe cut some holes in the leeward side.