Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It must be spring, because...

...the cottontails are really out and active!


It's nothing unusual to flush a rabbit or two during the morning walk, but today I must have seen seven or eight. Calculate probably 10,000 I missed for every one I saw, and that's...hm...well, it's a lot.


So I abandoned normal practice and brought the boys into the bracken and sand, where the rabbits like to hide. They each had a ball making complete nuisances of themselves for a while. They rarely actually catch rabbits, but never tire of chasing them.


I recently read an article on dog care, that stressed the importance of teaching a dog to heel. It's a vital part of becoming the Alpha of the pack, I'm told. You shouldn't let them wander, and you absolutely mustn't let them lead.

It's supposed to be bad for them, and they'll start trying to boss you around.

Yeah. "Heel." Heh. The boys do pretty much whatever I ask them to, if they think it's reasonable and - if I insist - even if they don't. But heel? No, I don't think so.


Magnus is feeling pretty good this morning. He always loves his Walky Time, but I don't get many gallops out of the ol' boy.

No comments: