Monday, August 3, 2009

Believe it or not...


This may one day be the only gun you can legally buy. Dig this:
The 100% electronic O'Dwyer VLe "Smart Gun"O'Dwyer VLe "Smart Gun" is to incorporate biometric authorising technology that should enable it to meet new US requirements for "personalised" handguns according to a joint release from Metal Storm and the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT).Legislation passed last year in the State of New Jersey requires that "three years after it is determined that personalized handguns are available for retail purposes, it will be illegal for any dealer or manufacturer to sell, assign or transfer any handgun unless that handgun is a personalized handgun". The States of New York, Ohio and Tennessee as well as the US Congress, are understood to be preparing similar legislation.
And why would we want such a thing?
NJIT Vice President for Research and Development Dr. Donald H. Sebastian said, "This is a technology that represents the future in handgun safety and control.
Yeah. Emphasis on "control", I'm guessing. I'm not really sure what these hoplophobes think they're buying, but I'm very sure what can be made mandatory can more easily be forbidden. I'll just stick with my 1911 tech for now: It's likely to go bang when I want it to, whether or not I remembered my majick dekoder hringe or whatever they use to get this silly-ass contraption to do its thing.

No comments: