Saturday, April 17, 2010

Arizona Gov signed the bill!

And about time, too. I've watched this every day, and was starting to think she was going to let it go without a signature.

Three months from yesterday*, Arizona goes to Vermont Carry.

This blows me away. I spent most of my life in cities, where you were in less jeopardy from the Forces of Law and Order if you walked around without pants than if you let somebody get a glimpse of your pistol. I often thought my pistol caused me more trouble than it promised to solve, because my greatest fear was cops. I don't remember when I first learned that Vermont didn't forbid open or concealed carry, but I do remember being flabbergasted. I'd spent so long in fear of the law, for doing something I considered not only my right but simple common sense, that I truly couldn't conceive of having it any other way.

I live now in ... the place where I live, and open carry because I can. I've done it for years, I'm not the only one, and the locals don't bother me. But if I throw on a coat and it covers my holster, I'm suddenly breaking the law. To quote Jubal Early, "Does that seem right to you?"

Apparently it didn't seem right to the government of Arizona. Congratulations to all who worked to make it happen! May the meme spread far.

*EDIT: There's some confusion as to when this new law goes into effect. Three months from signing or three months from the end of the legislative session? I don't know. I've heard it authoritatively stated both ways. Guess it goes into effect when it does.

2 comments:

Bill St. Clair said...

Mama Liberty said about this bill over at TMM:

"This is NOT 'Vermont' carry in Arizona. It resembles what they're doing in Alaska. Still a lot of restrictions and pelosi (BS). In order for the cops to tolerate it, a provision was inserted to give them the power to disarm anyone whenever they want, no cause required. We defeated a similar bill in Wyoming this fall."

I haven't checked the details.

Joel said...

As I understand from my reading, language to that effect was indeed added to the bill to get the cop unions on board. However (also, as I understand it) that has always been the law or at least custom in Arizona - it's just repeated here. You're not required to volunteer the information that you're armed, but it's a crime to lie if asked and it's basically suicide not to turn the gun over if that's demanded.

That's hardly unusual - it's the law in the state of my residence as well, as I can sadly attest from personal experience. Did I enjoy the experience? No, I I found it quite insulting. Would I consider it perfectly logical if I were a cop, considering how jumpy cops get when dealing with any guns not their own? Yeah, I probably would.

Sorry if that doesn't satisfy the philosophical purists among us. If Wyoming activists can get a purer "free carry" law through there, I will watch the development with great attention.